Conditional Formatting of a Row if One Cell in the Row Contains a Specific Value

MntnrMark

Board Regular
I hope this one is kinda easy, but it has me stumped. So, from the "The Only Stupid Question is the One That Isn't Asked" Department . . .

If I have a specific value in, say, Cell G4 and I want to shade the range of cells from A4-G4 if that specific value appears in G4, how do I do that? I know I need to use the "Cell Value = " rule, but I can only get Excel to shade G4 only - even if I specify the range of $A$2:$G$30 (I have 30 rows where I need to do the same thing).

I'll probably hate myself when the answer is revealed, but someone please help me to hate myself. Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Use a formula & use
Excel Formula:
=$G4="Test"
change Test to your value

Upvote 0
Use a formula & use
Excel Formula:
=$G4="Test"
change Test to your value
Thanks, Fluff, but I'm still not getting the desired result. I changed the "Equal To" to "=$G4=[my specific value]", but what should I put under "Applies To"? I tried $A4:$G4, but Excel is automatically putting a $ sign in front of the Row number despite me trying to take it out.

Upvote 0
Select the range you want it to work on, then in conditional formatting, new rule, use a formula & use
Excel Formula:
$G4=[my specific value]

Upvote 0
OK, I just realized I have to use the formula qualifier - not the "Cell Contains" qualifier. Its working now as intended. Thanks, Fluff!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back