Conditional Formatting on blank cells only in Named Range

mattyg1406

I currently have a piece of code which applies some simple colour conditional formatting on blank cells on a set column on my workbook

:
Code:
       wsEmployeeData.Range("G" & LastEmployeeDataRow + 1 & ":G125").FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:= _
           "=AND('" & wsEmployeeData.Name & "'!$C" & LastEmployeeDataRow + 1 & "<>"""",'" & wsEmployeeData.Name & "'!$G" & LastEmployeeDataRow + 1 & "<>"""")"

wsEmployeeData.Range("G" & LastEmployeeDataRow + 1 & ":G125").FormatConditions(wsEmployeeData.Range("G" & LastEmployeeDataRow + 1 & ":G125") _
                                                      .FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority

With wsEmployeeData.Range("G" & LastEmployeeDataRow + 1 & ":G125").FormatConditions(1).Interior
           .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
           .Color = RGB(0, 255, 255) ' Blue ( Optional )
           .TintAndShade = 0
       End With

wsEmployeeData.Range("G" & LastEmployeeDataRow + 1 & ":G125").FormatConditions(1).StopIfTrue = False

I would like to make this code more dynamic, and use a named range reference for column G, as it is quite likely that additional columns may get added to the workbook in the future, and I don't want to have to keep amending my code.

I plan to use a named range for the "G9:G125" address, so the conditional formatting would need to find the first blank cell in the named range and apply formatting up to the end of the named range.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me with this please?

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
If your code already works, and the only issue is the range that it is being applied upon, just change all the Range references with your named range, i.e.
change:
Code:
Range("G" & LastEmployeeDataRow + 1 & ":G125")
with:
Code:
Range("MyRangeName")
where "MyRangeName" is whatever range name you have elected to use.

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe, but I need the formatting to be applied from the FIRST BLANK cell in the Named Range (rather than the start of the Named Range) and up to the LAST cell in the Named Range.

Upvote 0
Here is a block of code that should build the range you want for Conditional Formatting:
Code:
    Dim FirstBlankCell As String
    Dim LastCell As String
    Dim myCFRange As Range

'   Find first blank cell in a named range
    FirstBlankCell = Range("MyNamedRange").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Cells(1).Address

'   Find last cell in named range
    LastCell = Split(Range("MyNamedRange").Address, ":")(1)

'   Build range for conditional formatting
    Set myCFRange = Range(FirstBlankCell & ":" & LastCell)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelhelp12345

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back