Conditional Formatting - problem with absolute/relative reference ($) in formula

dbish

Hello All. I have a weird problem. Doing some simple conditional formatting. Want to fix one set of cells and then copy all formatting (font, size, conditional formatting)
using the format painter tool to many locations across different rows and columns. Screenshot show problem.
- Line 22: If I include $ for column reference in conditional formula (absolute reference) the formatting works as desired.
- Line 2: If I use only relative reference for columns in conditional formula then only first column is correct.

While this is a simple fix I have to copy formatting across many sets of columns and each one has be changed to the correct column reference in the conditional formula.

I am using Excel 2010 on a Windows 10 machine. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• conditional format example.jpg
    conditional format example.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
This isn't weird.
When you use CF in more than one cell, CF behaviour is like a normal formula with relative and absolute references.
When you have your lookup data in a column you have to use an absolute reference to that column ($E2)

Upvote 0
Solution
So I changed the conditional formatting to only apply to one cell (Col B) usin relative formula. I then duplicated it to column C and D manually so each cell's conditional formatting only applied to that one cell. I could then copy the three cells to my next set of data and it worked!

Thanks - you can't believe how may ties and permutations i tried without figuring this out. Great Job! and duplicated it in each

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back