Conditional formatting question

hatstand

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet with 7 columns and a few thousand rows with column A being the part number and column D being the description. My problem is that when a part is entered into the database. Although the part numbers can be duplicated in column A, I need the description to match any previous description entered. I know how to make duplicate entries highlight in one column, but can it be done by combining entries.

I have to say this has me stumped without resorting to adding new columns in the spreadsheet. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I know how to make duplicate entries highlight in one column, but can it be done by combining entries.

Why don't u concatenate 2 columns [=CONCATENATE()] and hilight duplicates in this new column ....

Upvote 0
What about having Data Validation to check that the Description is the right one ( you could have the right one appear in the in-cell drop-down too )?

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies

I didn't really want to add another column as it may confuse staff who use the spreadsheet. And I i can't use data validation as the entries are made by automatically via a form completed by staff.

I know how to highlight duplcates. i.e. =countif(a:a,a1)>1 to highlight any duplicates in coulmn A but tring to highlight entries that are based on two criteria and not matching is a real doozy.

Upvote 0
There wouldn't be an extra column?!?!? Why can't you use data validation? You can add the validation after the entries are done and have auditing circle invalid data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back