Conditional formatting range based on reference cell value

jaz44

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone, I'm struggling with getting my conditional formatting formula to work. I want to highlight a range of cells based on the value in a reference cell.

I've got the range DK6:DW6 that I want to highlight green if the value in K6 is "Yes" or leave alone if it's anything else. Then I want that same logic to apply to the same columns in rows 8-23. I can get the formula to apply correctly to a specific cell like DK6, but I can't get it to apply to the full range or copy properly.

What's easiest way to do this?

TIA for any help!

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Formula:

=$K6="Yes"

Apply to:

=$DK$6:$DW$20

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

At first glance, I'd say you must make K6 and absolute reference. Try this in the forumla rule: $K$6

Upvote 0
Formula:

=$K6="Yes"

Apply to:

=$DK$6:$DW$20

Thanks, that did it! I don't know why, but for some reason conditional formatting formulas always trick me up on something that would be ridiculously simple to do in a normal formula.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

At first glance, I'd say you must make K6 and absolute reference. Try this in the forumla rule: $K$6

Thanks. New name, but return customer. I apparently used my work email to register in the past, so I think this is probably my 3rd user name in the last few years. I registered with my personal address this time though, so it should be the last one.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that did it! I don't know why, but for some reason conditional formatting formulas always trick me up on something that would be ridiculously simple to do in a normal formula.

You are welcome.
You have to play around with the absolute and relative references ($Column - &Row) (&Column - Row) (Column - $Row) (Column - Row)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back