Conditional formatting rules increase by copy/paste

selant

Board Regular
I have conditional formatting in some of the cells in my workbook. I make the worksheet protected with a password however when a user copy and paste from cell to another cell, the conditional formatting rules are increasing. I want the conditional formatting rules to be constant. How can i fix these rules ?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi s,

What do you mean when you say "the conditional format rules are increasing" Afraid I don't quite get it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if you mean that the cells in the conditional format formuls are changing, add the $ in the formulas to make them absolute

for example change A1 to $A$1

Upvote 0
if you mean that the cells in the conditional format formuls are changing, add the $ in the formulas to make them absolute
for example change A1 to $A$1

Hi the problem is not making the formulas absolute with $ sign, i think..

Here is the original rules window before copying any cell to another.. These are the rules, i want to keep as is..

displayimage.php

However, here is the same window after copying Cell G/15 to Cell I/15, the rules increase and if each time a cell is copied to another, the rules are increasing :

displayimage.php

What results may occur if i cant solve this problem ? Or how to avoid..

Upvote 0
if you copy a cell with conditional format when you paste it onto a new cell that cell will have conditional formating also

what you can do
copy the cell
select the cell you want to paste into

paste special formulas or values

Upvote 0
if you copy a cell with conditional format when you paste it onto a new cell that cell will have conditional formating also

what you can do
copy the cell
select the cell you want to paste into

paste special formulas or values

Hi wsjackman, first of all thank you very much for your kind response and helps. I am aware that when copying pasting a cell, it carries the conditional formatting and a solution is the way you suggest, pasting special.. The point is that, this workbook will drive through 4 different workers and come back to me. So i can not control each worker which some of them are abroad. So i am trying to take some steps to prevent possible errors. Locking the workbook is ok it helps me but i dont seem to solve this conditional formatting issue when copying a cell. I thought about putting some script to avoid copying cells but its nothing useful for the type of my trouble i guess. Thank you again and regars.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back