CONDITIONAL FORMATTING TO A PIVOT TABLE - ACROSS ALL COLUMN - 2 CRITERIA

JuicyMusic

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I can only get one column to light up. I am looking to learning how to add Conditional Formatting to a Pivot Table.
I didn't even know that was a thing :)

HERE IS THE FORMULA I WROTE FOR THE CONDITIONAL FOMATTING:
Excel Formula:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]=IF(AND(A53=A52,C53-C52=1),TRUE,FALSE)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

FORMATTING: BOTH ROWS 53 AND 52 SHOULD BE HIGHLIGHTED YELLOW IF TRUE, AND NO FORMATTING IF FALSE.

Thank you so much

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hi anyone, I'm back and have been trying. I hope someone can help me but I'm going to try again this morning.

Upvote 0
It might be helpful if you post a small sample of your data so we can see it, along with what your expected results should look like.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Good Mooring Joe4, My company won't allow me to use your XL2BB tool. I am trying to get our IT department to come to this site with me so they can see that it isn't something questionable.
I can upload a snapshot of my pivot table with a small data set. I will explain clearly.

I am already noticing issues using a Pivot Table for this type of analysis. I may have to use INDEX/MATCH or SUMIF instead. But for now, I just need a conditional formatting for 3 conditions across columns if these conditions are met.

PIVOT TABLE COLUMNS: A thru G. Columns D, E, and F are just three different types of benefits. Not everyone elected all three. Med, Dental, Vision. Some have 1 or 2 or 3 elections.
VLOOKUP IN COLUMN H: This formula is looking at column C of the PT and also at another tab that lists ONLY FRIDAY dates for the year 2020 thru future years.
An #N/A result in column G means that the date in the PT is NOT a Friday.

The pivot table data grows when new data is added to the source tab - weekly or monthly.
This data reflects benefits costs that were deducted from each employee's PR check. I set this up to track if there were any weeks missed (did HR miss deducting benefits costs from anyone on FRIDAY.

I NEED CONDITIONAL FORMATTINGS FOR THE FOLLOWING: COLOR CODING TO GO FROM COLUMN A THRU H IF THE FOLLOWING IS TRUE

HIGHLIGHT ORANGE:
For example, If HR posted a deduction with with a NON FRIDAY DATE - and there IS a total greater or lesser than ZERO in column G - that means that the deduction (or deductions) were technically NOT missed. The deduction just wasn't posted with a FRIDAY date.

HIGHLIGHT GREEN: For example, If HR posted a deduction with a NON FRIDAY DATE and the total is zero in column G - that means that the deduction was MISSED completely.

HIGHLIGHT YELLOW: For example, If HR posted a deduction WITH A FRIDAY DATE and the total is zero in column G - that means that no amount for the the deduction was actually made.
MISSED and needs to be researched.

I've color coded the pivot table so you can see how the results should be. This pivot has approx 100 employee names but my snapshot is for just two. Conditional Formatting starts over at name change in column A. I hope that is helpful.

Here is my formula in Column H that is looking the the tab with Friday dates listed, in case you need to see it.

Excel Formula:
=IF(YEAR(C5)=2020,VLOOKUP(C5,CALENDAR!F:F,1,0),
IF(YEAR(C5)=2021,VLOOKUP(C5,CALENDAR!I:I,1,0),
IF(YEAR(C5)=2022,VLOOKUP(C5,CALENDAR!L:L,1,0),
IF(YEAR(C5)=2023,VLOOKUP(C5,CALENDAR!N:N,1,0)))))

Afterwards, could you please direct me to a link where I can take a course for learning complex CF's? I really need to become self-sufficient in this. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Capture_Pivot Table w Color Coding.PNG
    Capture_Pivot Table w Color Coding.PNG
    73.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture_Portion of tab with list of only Fridays_ by Year.PNG
    Capture_Portion of tab with list of only Fridays_ by Year.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
OK, I think I have a solution for you.

First, amend your formula in column H slightly, to get rid of the #N/A errors:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(IF(YEAR(C5)=2020,VLOOKUP(C5,CALENDAR!F:F,1,0),
IF(YEAR(C5)=2021,VLOOKUP(C5,CALENDAR!I:I,1,0),
IF(YEAR(C5)=2022,VLOOKUP(C5,CALENDAR!L:L,1,0),
IF(YEAR(C5)=2023,VLOOKUP(C5,CALENDAR!N:N,1,0))))),0)

This will return a zero (shown as 1/0/1900 for dates) when it cannot find the date in the lookups.
(If you do not want to see this, you can apply special formatting to hide the zero entries).

Then, select columns A:G, starting in row 5, going down for all your data rows, and use these Conditional Formatting formulas:

Formula for Orange highlighting
Excel Formula:
=AND(ISNUMBER($C5),$G5<>0,$H5=0)

Formula for Green highlighting
Excel Formula:
=AND(ISNUMBER($C5),$G5=0,$H5=0)

Formula for Yellow highlighting
Excel Formula:
=AND(ISNUMBER($C5),$G5=0,$H5>0)

That should do what you want.

Upvote 0
Look how simple that was for you. I'm trying this right now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back