Conditional Formatting Using Gradient Bars

Isaac_IEZ

Hey everyone, thanks for your help with this question. I am working on a report for work and I am trying to give a simple visual to show how close a facility is to meeting their goal and thought I could use conditional formatting instead of adding an additional column to an already large data set.

In one column I have the facility's current number and in the next column that facility's goal. The problem I'm running into is that I have over 100 facilities and they all have different goals so I'm not able to set the max value for the gradient fill to a specific value and instead need to base it off the value in the corresponding goal field. Is there a way to get the gradient fill to represent the progress to towards the corresponding goal? See example below

CurrentGoal

<tbody>
</tbody>

Is thee a way to get the current column (A) to have a gradient fill based on the goal column (B).

Thanks for your help!

Isaac

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi Isaac,
that's a tricky one... The simple answer is: it's not possible, gradients can only be based on cell values themselves, not on a calculation including the field next to it. Your 2 options are:
-indeed add a column based on A/B -> that is a 0%-100% scale that could have a good gradient coloring
-or manually create some conditional formats, each having the A/B as a function and e.g. have a base color RED, then >0,5 -> ORANGE, >0,75 -> YELLOW, >0,9 -> GREEN. No real gradient, but those 4 colors should give you some insights.
Hope that helps,
Koen

Upvote 0
add a column based on A/B -> that is a 0%-100% scale

Thanks a bunch for the Koen. I want to make sure that I'm understanding you. I'm confused about the "->" what do you mean by that?

You did answer the bulk of the questions, I didn't think it could be done, but I'd love to lock down the options you suggested for the a work around.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Isaac,
okay, first give the cells a red background color, next:
-add conditional formatting with a formula =A2/B2>0,5 (assuming your data is located in columns A and B) with background e.g. orange
-add conditional formatting with a formula =A2/B2>0,75 with background e.g. yellow
-add conditional formatting with a formula =A2/B2>0,9 with background e.g. green
You might have to mess around with the order of the 3 conditional formats to get the right color, but that should do the trick.
"then >0,5 -> ORANGE" would mean: have as a condition >0,5 (like above) and have e.g. orange as the result of the conditional format.

Hope that works,
Cheers,
Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back