Conditional Formatting Using Pictures

s

Hi everyone

I am using MS Excel XP and with the basic package. I need to find out is there an easy way to assign a picture such as a smiley face :biggrin: to appear within in a cell when it meets a specific formula condition. Similiar to utilising conditional formatting and shading cells or text; however, a picture would appear instead.

If the cell met another condition that was less favourable a different picture would appear such as :confused: and if an even worse condition was met based on the formula another picture such as :cry: would appear.

The picture would constantly be able to be changed based on the result of the formula.

* Smilely faces only utilised as an example.

Any ideas of how this may be achieved are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
You might be able to make this work for your needs. You might combine the two together, and achieve your needs.
Post back if you have further questions.
This link will show you how to assign the picture and then you can assign a value to the image which then associate in the conditional formatting.

http://www.mrexcel.com/tip089.shtml

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link.

I had a look, but I only have the option to format the comment's font.

Maybe a macro is the only way to do it. Do you know if it would be possible to apply a macro to a picture, to appear within a cell only if certain percentage conditions are met? Eg. if between 30% and 40% etc.

Still thinking and trying.

S

Upvote 0
Yes I believe there will be several ways to handle this. But I think this will be quite doable, but have not tested.
Did you get to the point where you have stored the picture in the comment?

Upvote 0
Unfortunatley, when I go into the format comment window, only the font tab appears, and I am unable to insert any picture into the comment.

Upvote 0
It is a little tricky, but the menu is accessible after you right+click on the comment cell

Next, right-click the cell and choose Show Comment. Ctrl+Click the comment. Right-click the comment and choose Format Comment. On the Colors and Lines tab, go to the color dropdown and choose Fill Effects from the bottom of the dialog box.

I got mine to come up after following this instruction

Upvote 0
When you Ctrl+Right Click, do it on the border of the comment, not in the middle of the comment-
Then go to format comment, a more feature filled menu will appear

Upvote 0
I was able to follow all your instructions up to:
Right-click the comment and choose Format Comment.

However, I was unable to do the last step below, because only the font tab appeared within the Format Comment window, no other tabs were available to choose from:
On the Colors and Lines tab, go to the color dropdown and choose Fill Effects from the bottom of the dialog box.

Upvote 0
Ok... Click on the comment and tell it to show, this will load the comment so it does not disappear when you scroll off the cell.

ONce you do this post back...
Make sure you nothing in the comment

Upvote 0
Once you have the comment showing, pay close attention to the border around the comment when you click on it, if when you click on it you get a series of diagonal lines as the border, you will only get the Font control menu.
You need to get the small dots around the comment border- to do this make sure you hold the Ctrl Key, RIGHT Click on the outside of the edge of the comment, this is where when you get the dots for the border around the comment you will get the enhanced menu

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back