Conditional Formatting Using Pictures

s

Hi everyone

I am using MS Excel XP and with the basic package. I need to find out is there an easy way to assign a picture such as a smiley face :biggrin: to appear within in a cell when it meets a specific formula condition. Similiar to utilising conditional formatting and shading cells or text; however, a picture would appear instead.

If the cell met another condition that was less favourable a different picture would appear such as :confused: and if an even worse condition was met based on the formula another picture such as :cry: would appear.

The picture would constantly be able to be changed based on the result of the formula.

* Smilely faces only utilised as an example.

Any ideas of how this may be achieved are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S

Thanks for the last post, didn't see if before I put my last reply in. Your right the trick is to click right on the border of the comment in order to display all tabs in the format comment window.

I managed to get a picture in the comment. I am a little confused how this will link up to conditional formatting and change as a formula result will change

Utilising a cell for example A1, I need a specific picture to appear if a formula result is between a range of 20% and 30%. If the result returns as 40% - 60% I need a different picture to appear etc.

Not sure how this will work with the comments.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
We can knock it back and forth. First part is to get the picture in there.
Now what is the value you will want to associate w/ this picture?

Upvote 0
The formula result will return percentages.

I would like the picture to associate with a of range 40% - 60%. If it is not possible to add a range then 40% can be assigned against the picture

Upvote 0
I think the way to handle this comes back to your original thought, to handle it in code.
Will this be where you have multiple scores on the page down a particular column and the adjacent column will store the appropriate picture?

I will play around w/ this, but the other board members may come up w/ an answer sooner or better solution. But I am done for the night...

For the time being you can do it manually if you need results quicker than I can get them back to you.
Are you comfortable how to do it manually?

Upvote 0
You are right in your assumption. The appropriate picture would appear in the adjacent column next to the formula result.

I am not that great with code, and I am more familar with formulas, but am willing to learn.

Thanks for your help tonight. If you do come up with something keep us posted on the forum. I will keep trying until a solution is found.

Thanks again

S.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have solved the problem :P

Email me on chrispisani@gmail.com with the ranges (eg: 0-30 sad) for sad, straight, and smily face, and I will send you all the details. Or if you wish just send me the file and tell me where to put them for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back