Conditional formatting with dates and text names

Melchisedek

Hi all, newcomer but really happy to be here! Kindly excuse any noob-ishness...

I'm having a problem with conditional formatting that seems to be going on for almost 2 days now. I have been setting up a project planner tool based on a template I found online that produces colored timebars based on date values using this formula:
Code:
=IF($G13>$F13;AND(R$11>=$E13;R$11<=$J13-$P13);AND(R$11>=$E13;R$11<=$I13-$O13))

It works for intended purposes but I have received a recommendation to have it change color depending on the person's name (reference text in another cell, in a different column/row). Naturally I started with creating duplicates of this formula for the different persons and giving it different color which only works if changing order of them in the CF menu. I tried to add another if argument but it didn't work and a while looking around for an answer I was told that in CF direct references aren't allowed, but only indirect function. I tried to combine it but to no avail again.

I then thought of using a helper column and have it retrieve row by row the same name which would be blanked-out, kinda to remain hidden, but I can't see there either a way of circumventing that conundrum of the CF formula.

I feel like I'm missing something fairly obvious but I have had no luck and not even my internet searches revealed anything of use. It's probably down to being a pretty basic excel user, so any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Welcome to the Board!

How do you determine which color each user should be? Is there some key or something?
Quite honestly, from what I can gather, it sounds like this might be more of a VBA thing than a Conditional Formatting thing, unless you want to set up separate CF formulas for each person.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back