Conditional formatting with dates

ayresm

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that is tracking finances across a number of teams. The spreadsheet looks similar to the much simplified version below:
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
J
Cost/day
1st Jan
8th Jan
15th Jan
22nd Jan
Total Cost
Cost To Date
Estimated Remaining Cost
Tom
£100
=SUM(C2:F2)*B2
=SUM(C2:D2)*B2
=SUM(E2:F2)*B2
Geoff
£120
=SUM(C3:F3)*B3
=SUM(C3:D3)*B3
=SUM(E3:F3)*B3
Lucy
£80
=SUM(C4:F4)*B4
=SUM(C4:D4)*B4
=SUM(E4:F4)*B4
Norman
£50
=SUM(C5:F5)*B5
=SUM(C5:D5)*B5
=SUM(E5:F5)*B5

<tbody>
</tbody>

In the example above, the current date is some point between 15th Jan and 22nd Jan. Managing the finances on a weekly basis thus means all 'cost to date' values are pulled from columns C&D, while all estimated remaining costs are pulled from columns E&F.

I would like to create a conditional formula that checks that the cells referenced in the fomula of each cell in columns H and J is referencing the correct column in terms of date.

I'm happy to add two reference cells on a hidden sheet with the columns to be checked against to enable this, but I'm not sure what the formula would look like - or if it is even possible!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Actually you can use the SIMIFS formula and it will be automatically "self checking".

Change the entries in C1:F1 to date format. Since today is April 5, I made in my worksheet C1 3/21/2013, D1 3/28/2013, E1 4/4/2013 and F1 4/11/2013. This would put today's date between 4/4 and 4/11.

Enter this formula in H2 and copy down:
=SUMIFS(C2:F2,C$1:F$1,"<"&TODAY()-7)*B2

Enter this formula in J2 and copy down:
=SUMIFS(C2:F2,C$1:F$1,">"&TODAY()-7)*B2

These formulas will automatically adjust the Cost to Date and Est Rem Costs. If you prefer to use a date you control rather than today's date, let's say you enter that date in cell A1, then replace the TODAY()-7 part of the formula with A$1.

If your actual data extends beyond 4 weeks, I'd suggest moving the 3 total columns before the week columns and extend the formula ranges to as far out as your weeks might go (eg: C2:Z2, etc). This will avoid the need to adjust the formula when 4 weeks are exceeded.

Upvote 0
Actually you can use the SIMIFS formula and it will be automatically "self checking".

Change the entries in C1:F1 to date format. Since today is April 5, I made in my worksheet C1 3/21/2013, D1 3/28/2013, E1 4/4/2013 and F1 4/11/2013. This would put today's date between 4/4 and 4/11.

Enter this formula in H2 and copy down:
=SUMIFS(C2:F2,C$1:F$1,"<"&TODAY()-7)*B2

Enter this formula in J2 and copy down:
=SUMIFS(C2:F2,C$1:F$1,">"&TODAY()-7)*B2

These formulas will automatically adjust the Cost to Date and Est Rem Costs. If you prefer to use a date you control rather than today's date, let's say you enter that date in cell A1, then replace the TODAY()-7 part of the formula with A$1.

If your actual data extends beyond 4 weeks, I'd suggest moving the 3 total columns before the week columns and extend the formula ranges to as far out as your weeks might go (eg: C2:Z2, etc). This will avoid the need to adjust the formula when 4 weeks are exceeded.

Thanks RonB.

That sounds like a much better solution. I'll give it a shot and confirm whether it has worked. My number of weeks is currently 24 and is relatively static. I'll play around with the s/sheet and see how things work, but I may move the columns to the left as you suggest.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Worked perfectly. I've opted for putting a date in a cell to drive the formula, but this has meant that I need to include an additional section to the formula. For anyone interested, here is the formula I have used, directly from my live spreadsheet:

=((SUMIFS(N7:AK7,N$1:AK$1,"<"&B$1)+(SUMIFS(N7:AK7,N$1:AK$1,"="&B$1)))*H7)

Where:
N1:AK1 are dates
N7:AK7 are number of days worked
B1 is user-specified the date
H7 is the cost per day value

Thanks again,

Matt

Upvote 0
You're welcome and thank you for providing feedback.

You could shorten your formula to:
=SUMIFS(N7:AK7,N$1:AK$1,"<="&B$1)*H7)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back