Conditional formatting with odd behaviour

Armsp0

I require conditional formatting to apply a cell color, either red or green depending on whether it is greater than a critical value contained in an adjacent cell or less than or equal to that same value. The cell to be formatted displays the result of a calculation whose precedents are themselves adjacent in the same row. If the precedents are some values less than 1.000 the formatting works fine. If the precedents are greater than 1.000, the equal to component of the formatting fails to apply the required cell fill color when the calculation result equals the critical value. I have fiddled with this for a while trying the simplest version of the formatting in a stepwise manner, used Excels pre defined rules instead of my formatting formula but to no avail.

The liked file shows two rows illustrating the problem. in both rows the calculated result is equal to the critical value but the formatting is different in each cell.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u7xcvo9bzd7kks/condform.xlsm?dl=0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
For some reason excel is actually working out the RED calc as

and NOT

I'm not sure why its doing that - the way excel handles number precision or a bug

use round
ROUND(ABS(D7-C7),5)
and then the number of decimals places you are likely to use
I have used 5 here

Upvote 0
Wow, it did occur to me that there might be an issue with precision but I only checked to a few more places. (and arithmetically shouldn’t have required more precision anyway so far as I could see) Thanks for your thorough investigation Wayne.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back