Conditional Formatting wth drop down menu - need to keep the formatting consistent based on one drop down choice

lmaltun

I have Excel 2010 and I have looked high and low for an answer to this question . . .

I have a drop down menu that changes the values in a corresponding table. The possible drop down selctions are:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 128pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=171><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 128pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6253" width=171><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 128pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl73 height=17 width=171>AGP_AMT</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl73 height=17>COST_OF_GOODS_SOLD</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl73 height=17>GROSS_SALES</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl73 height=17>LOST_SALES_AMT</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl73 height=17>NET_SALES</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl73 height=17>TOTAL_ALLOWANCES</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl73 height=17>TOTAL_MARKDOWNS</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl73 height=17>UNITS_SOLD</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I want cells in the table to be highlighted green when the total_markdowns numbers are < -5000. I was able to easily do this with conditional formatting.

My problem is this - I want those same cells to stay highlighted green no matter what the drop down selection is. So, if I were to select Units_Sold from the dropdown, I still want the cells that were highlighted green in the Total_Markdowns table to remain green as they indicate a markdown week.

Totally lost on how to do this and I'm not sure even where to start. Please help!!!! : )

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Welcome to the forum!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
In this case, you need to look at the value of total_markdowns and set the colour as appropriate rather than looking at the dropdown list.<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back so quickly!

I went ahead and manually highlighted for this month but I realized after reading your reply that I forgot to mention that this is something updated monthly. The highlighted boxes will shift according to our promotional calendar which is why I was hoping for an automated method to solving the problem.

Still hoping this is an option

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back