Conditional formatting

breazzyyy

This seems like it should be easy enough, but I can't seem to find an easy answer.

I have information on column A and column B but I want the cells in column B to be highlighted if it doesn't match column A.

I could do it one at a time but with a few hundred lines, it would take a while. Also, I read posts about cloning the rule, but I can't find it and when I tried to special paste + formatting, it'll highlight everything

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Your conditional formatting formula always needs to reference the top left most cell in the affected area. If your conditional formatting area is B2:B100, then your formula would be:
=$B2<>$A2

You need to highlight the range you want to affect before starting the conditional formatting creation; or simply change the range inside the conditional formatting wizard. If you change the range and the top left most cell changes, then you need to change your formula to reflect the NEW top left most cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you guys so much! It worked, I was a little thrown off because a few of the numbers matched until you expanded the decimals. Sigh.

But thank you guys so much!

Upvote 0
Select Your range in col B-> Go to Home tab->Conditional formating->Manage rules->New rule->Use a formula to determine which cells to format->paste formula below->click format and select cell formating You want->OK->OK

=IF($A1<>"",$A1=$B1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recon11bucks

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back