Conditional Formatting

CharlesGilbank

Hello -

I am trying to traffic light Red Amber Green a data set that has a progression of 4c,4b,4a 5c,5b etc. It wont recognise 4a as greater than 4c although I need it to. I have therefore given it a number and asked it to recognise this. I have done this by adding an If statement into the next cell. It then colour codes the number cell. I want it to colour the cell where I enter the 4c not the cell with numerical value.

Help please

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Thanks for this - anymore detail as to how this would help me - the nine Is functions have confused me already.

Many thanks for your initial speedy reply

Upvote 0
In the Conditional Formatting Dialog box (Format, Conditional formatting)

toggle "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is" and enter a formula like =B1=1, and set a format.

Upvote 0
CharlesGilbank

Welcome to the Mr Excel board!

Can you explain your original problem again giving a bit more detail please? For example:
'a data set' What cells contain the data?
'I am trying to traffic light Red Amber Green a data set ' Can you explain what you mean by this?
'I have therefore given it a number and asked it to recognise this' Please expand your explanation.

I guess what I am trying to say is: What do you have and in what cells? What do you want to happen to this data?

Upvote 0
Many thanks

Used FormulaIs then =And(c2>A2) return Red colour =And (c2=A2) return Amber and =And (c2<a2) return Green.

Many thanks once again.

Upvote 0
Many thanks

Used FormulaIs then =And(c2>A2) return Red colour =And (c2=A2) return Amber and =And (c2<a2) return Green.

Many thanks once again.
Not sure why you have AND in the formulas?
Try =C2>A2 for red etc.

By the way,
What do you have in A2?
What is in C2?
Is this particular Conditional Formatting used in cell A2 or C2 or somewhere else?

Upvote 0
All solved now - I will be more detailed when I ask next time - New to Mr Excel.
OK, fair enough Charles. I was asking more questions because I thought the problem could be most likely be solved without the need for an extra column. However, if you are satisfied, that's fine. Hope you get more use from Mr Excel in the future. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back