Conditional Formatting

brett4098

I have the normal three sheet workbook open. I was wondering if on one page i fill (color) a certain cell and could have, on another page, a formula summing the number of cells that i've highlighted in a certain color?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Either way should work, using the shading or using a Flag like "X". If you wanted to SUM all the values in the first 100 rows on Sheet 1, column A depending on if there is an X in column B, then use:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!B1:B100,"X",Sheet1!A1:A100)

Upvote 0
Look at Excel help on the SUMIF function. It is a great resource, complete with descriptions and examples.

This is taken directly from there:

SUMIF(range,criteria,sum_range)

Range is the range of cells you want evaluated.

Criteria is the criteria in the form of a number, expression, or text that defines which cells will be added. For example, criteria can be expressed as 32, "32", ">32", "apples".

Sum_range are the actual cells to sum.

Note that the first range is the range that contains the X's. The range of values you want to sum is the 3rd argument (Sum_range).

Upvote 0
It doesn't update the formula until I save the workbook. Any suggestions? This is my formula--=SUMIF('2004 CALENDAR'!A5:AE5,"X",'2004 CALENDAR'!A6:AE6). In other words, if I add an X, it won't change the sum unless I save it.

Upvote 0
It sounds like your calculation setting is set to Manual. Go to the Tools drop down menu and select Options. Go to the Calculation tab and make sure the "Automatic" radio button is selected.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back