Conditional formatting

mojo1227

I have a large spreadsheet for accounting purposes. For each month there is a budgeted dollar amount and actual amt. Is their a way to format a the spreadsheet that if the actual amount is larger it bolds the number? Each row is a specific account, and each acct has its own budget for that specific month

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Goto Format >Conditinal Formating>

change to Formula is ( place this formula there )

if(actualamt>budgeted amt)

replace teh actual amt and budgeted amt with your actula data address

change the format to bold

I think It will work

Regards

Mian Mazher

Upvote 0
Hi mojo, welcome to the MrExcel board,
Let's say your budget figures are listed down column B and the actual figures are down column C.
In C2 go to Format > Conditional Formatting. In the first feild you want "Cell Value Is". In the second feild choose "Greater Than" and in the third feild enter "=B2" (without the quotes) and format as bold.
Then copy C2 down column C as far as you would like the formatting to be applied.
Now if you enter a number in Col.B and a larger number in Col.C of the same row, the number in Col.C should be bold.

This help?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, but no it doesn't format. When I copy the format down it doesn't change the reference cell to the corresponding cell. I did the special paste and that didn't work

Upvote 0
Hi,
I get the impression that the formatting copied, but all of Col.C is comparing itself to cell B2. (right?)
If this is correct, check the formatting to see that there are no $ characters. (ie. C2's formatting is "Value Is > greater than > =$B$2) If this is what it has, then change it to "Value Is > greater than > =B2. And then copy down Col C again.
This should work for what you want.
Dan

Upvote 0
Most welcome. Glad it worked.
For the sake of explanation, you've just experienced the difference between absolute and relative cell referencing. The formula =$D$5 will look at Cell D5 no matter what cell you copy it to. (That's an absolute reference.) Where as the formula =D5 (when entered into say cell F5) will always be looking at the cell 2 columns to its left, no matter where you copy it to. (If you copy it to cell N20, it will now be looking at L20. - This is relative referencing.)

That help?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back