Conditional Formatting

brentcook

Board Regular
I'm a rookie looking for help with a conditional formatting formula.

I have a set of fairly long iferror(index strings of names that combine three to 8 ranges into one a set of 4 different lists. What I need is for the names that are shaded on the originating range, to carry over to the final list. Is there anyone that can help with this? I don't even know where to begin.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi, welcome to the board.

Formatting - Colors/fonts/shading etc are all cosmetic, not data, and excel formulas work on data. To bring back for formatting of a cell - if that cell was formatted manually - will require VBA, not a formula.

If, however, the color was changed through Conditional Formatting, then we may be able to use the same rule to do what you want

Upvote 0
Thank you for the kind welcome.

My post was poorly written and confusing. I will try and explain it a little better. Sorry for the length.

I have a complicated process. It is a schedule for 50 people or so for around the clock shift work. We have a six week schedule and I'm trying to create worksheets that automatically populate for each day to be able to see the staff that will be working. Sometimes there are staff that pick up extra shifts, but are not needed, and need to be identified on the daily sheet.

What I have created was an iferror string that compiles a list of regular staff (with blanks) from our schedule. Then, redid the process to compile the extra staff (with blanks).

Then, on the final sheet, have combined the two lists and removed blanks to create a readable/usable daily form. So, what I really need to do is reference the final list to the previous list, and any matches in to the "extra" staff list need to be conditionally formatted to signify the "extra" staff on the final list.

I attempted to use this

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH(ListStarG,G4))

but needed three ranges as the reference. When there wasn't a match, it highlighted all the cells on the final daily form. When there is a match, (which is not going to happen all that often) it worked perfect though.

Upvote 0
I think I figured it out using conditional formatting, duplicate text. Thank you again Ford for making me feel welcome and helping out!

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay in responding, real life interfered again (dont you just hate that lol?)

Anyway, Im happy to see you figured it out yourself :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back