Conditional Formula Needed

Dsheaff

I need the action identified below to take place only if the value posted to cell AK8 appearing on the Worksheet identified as "QC Summary Rail" is equal to or greater than 1. Otherwise, the recipient cell is to remain blank.

='Candidate Selection'!P4

Break apart the formula into new formulas, to see what each one returns.

So enter these four formulas in any blank cells on the sheet where this big formula is located, and let us know what each one returns:
='QC W Beam'!O8=1
='QC W Beam'!I7="GUARDRAIL REPAIR (W BEAM & THRIE BEAM)"
='QC W Beam'!M200="X"
='QC W Beam'!G199

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
If you use XL2BB to post significant portions of your sheet, it would help us. Or just follow Joe4's instruction.

Upvote 0
Again, I offer the following:

=IF(AND('QC W Beam'!O8=1,'QC W Beam'!I7="GUARDRAIL REPAIR (W & THRIE BEAM)",'QC W Beam'!M30="X"),'QC W Beam'!G29,"")

I modified it slightly....I originally misrepresented a portion of the formula...I changed (W BEAM & THRIE BEAM) to (W & THRIE BEAM) and placed the formula in a cell where I knew there should be a return. When entered, no error messages were received, however, the recipient cell in which it was posted remained blank. All of the conditions are met but there should have been a return. I'm wondering about the last portion of the formula.... 'QC W Beam'!M30="X"),'QC W Beam'!G29,"")... Originally, When it stood by itself with no conditions it was preceded with =IF and returned the expected data to the recipient cell in which it was posted.

The expected data referenced above is the value in QC W Beam cell G29

Upvote 0
In one case, you're checking M200 and in another M30, then in one case you're checking G199 and the other G29.

Upvote 0
Please pay special attention to what you are posting here. If you keep "misrepresenting" things, the formulas will never work. All that we have to work off if what you share with us here. So we need to count on that data being accurate.

Basically, what we are building is an IF statement with an AND clause. Its structure looks like this:
=IF(AND(condition1,condition2,condition3),'QC W Beam'!G29,"")

If condition1, condition2, and condition3 all return TRUE, then the formula HAS to return the value from 'QC W Beam'!G29.
So, if it is not working the way you expect, then pull out each condition (like I just had you do above), and see if each condition is True or not.

I would also recommend temporarily changing the last argument of the IF function to something other than "", maybe with something like "conditions not met".
That way, you will be able to tell the difference between the IF conditions not being met versus them being met, but the cell you are bringing back is empty.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, select each condition (one at a time) and touch F9 on your keyboard to see how it evaluates.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, select each condition (one at a time) and touch F9 on your keyboard to see how it evaluates.
That's pretty cool. I never knew about that.
I did discover, however, that after doing that, you want to hit ESC to leave the formula. If you hit ENTER, it overwrites your condition with the Boolean value!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys... I got it! Amazing how long you can stare at something and not see it. I did what you recommended above and found a missing comma. I also discovered the issue with using ESC to leave the formula.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Great, Dsheaff...sorry I didn't point out the ESC key requirement. Glad it's working.

Joe4: you just made me smile when you said you never knew that!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back