Conditional protection

sparkmanrl

Hi,

I have a question about setting up my workbook to do conditional protection. I have searched the internet for quite some time trying to find a solution to this problem.

As background, our users want to populate a 12 month forecast with actuals from the complete month, and they want to be able to key in a number for the future months.

Here's the situation: on tab1, called Instructions, I have a cell B9 that stores a value "Y" or "N". This corresponds to whether January should be populated with Actuals or not.

On another tab, tab4, called Plan, if the value in Instructions!B9 is Y, then column J is populated from the Actuals tab, but if the value in Instructions!B9 is N, the cell is populated with 0.

I am able to accomplish everything with If statements through normal Excel formulas. The thing I'm missing, though, is I would like to be able to protect the column if it's being populated with Actuals so that the user cannot overwrite the values that are populated from the Actuals tab.

I have seen a very close example of this, so I think it's possible, but I haven't been able to get it to work, and also I am confused about a few points of coding. If someone can show me an example of how to code this, I would very much appreciate it, especially if they would comment it well enough for me to follow it.

Here's the sort of things that confuse me as a total newbie:

1. Where do I put the code?
2. How do I refer to a value on another tab of the worksheet?

Regards,

Robert Sparkman

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back