87765Yes
Yes
96853Yes
96853Yes
435839Yes
435839Yes

<tbody>
</tbody>
For each instance of "Yes" in the "Dose Given?" field, I need a count in the "Dose #" field of which dose that was for the particular ID. I filled it in how I want it, but I cannot come up with a formula that will conditionally count or sum only back to where the ID changes. Either a creatively nested "IF" or some kind of conditional formula seems to be the way to go, but I don't know if the latter is possible. The purpose of the count is for analysis of the appropriateness of the dose based on the last test result and a protocol, if that helps. Thanks, anybody! :confused:

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Wait, sorry. I actually tried that one early on. It counts the number of instances that the particular ID and displays the count only when the "Dose" field says yes, but it does not count the actual doses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried to modify this with some IF conditions, but I could never get it to count the number of doses according to the ID. I can count the ID instances, and I can count total doses for the sheet, but not total doses per ID. I need to do this not using a pivot table to make further formula work possible. The sheet I'm using is about 40000 records.

Upvote 0
Wait, sorry. I actually tried that one early on. It counts the number of instances that the particular ID and displays the count only when the "Dose" field says yes, but it does not count the actual doses.
What exactly do you mean by "count the actual doses" then? Are you saying the numbers you show in the "Dose Count" column are not the numbers you are trying to produce? If that is the case, then show us the actual numbers you want to see for the sample data you posted.

Upvote 0
The Dose # column in the OP shows the numbers I want to produce. I just need a formula that will do that over 40000 rows, about 8000 unique patients. Maybe I should add another field with a "1" for each dose given, and try to produce a SUMIF formula like pplstuff suggested?

Upvote 0
If every dose is 1... then you don't need a sumif(), because countif() will always add 1.

Upvote 0
I thought that, too, as I've used countif() a lot more, but I can't get either of them to give me a running count of dose with the range of the patient ID as the range of the count of the doses given.

Upvote 0
I figured it out:

=IF(C2="","",COUNTIFS($A$2:A2,A2,$C$2:C2,"Yes"))

It's a running subtotal based on criteria; very useful for what I do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back