Conditional Sum?

AndrewRK

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm not sure how to phrase this. I'll refer to the image pasted below which will hopefully help explain things.

1655991860359.png

I am looking for a way to extrapolate all possible combinations of four values from Column B that are able to add up to any other values in Column B using only values with differing values from Column C.

As an example, the first four values from Column B (1,2,2,3) which sum to eight (8) cannot be used as a valid combination of four in this case because the 1 and the second 2 from Column B are both affiliated with a 1 in Column C. However, a valid sum of 30 can be achieved with the Column B value in rows 3, 8, 15, and 17 (2+4+11+13, with four unique corresponding Column C values of 2, 4, 7, and 1).

Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure where to even start with this. Any direction at all would be greatly appreciated. No combination of FILTER, IF, SUMIF, UNIQUE, etc. seems to really get me meaningfully closer to this.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Also I'm open to the fact that this might not be a problem best suited for Excel, in which case I am happy to hear that too and would love a recommendation as to what sort of software/program etc. would be best suited for this.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back