Conditional x or v lookup.

Jonathan Meyer

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hoping someone can assist with the below query.
I am trying to do a v or x lookup between 2 workbooks with the following scenario. The workbook I am trying to get the lookup result from has 3 columns.
Column A: Has data that matches exactly in both the workbook I am typing the formula in and where I am trying to get the lookup result from.
Column B: Has data that matches approximately 70-90% between the 2 workbooks.
Column C: Is the data I am trying to lookup and bring from one work book into another.
On its own Column A is not enough to do the lookup on, as it is not unique enough to deliver the unique Column C. (ie Column A and C are not a one to one relationship)
I tried doing a partial or fuzzy lookup by combining Columns A & B, but the results were still not great. Nether was putting the data in power query to do a fuzzy search.

I was hoping there was a formula to do the following;
Find all instances of a label in Column A, and then do the partial or fuzzy lookup for just those rows with that instance in Column's B & C.
So if Column A was hundreds of rows with say month names, can I do a x or v lookup on Column B to find column C, but only lookup rows in Column A with a specific value in them, (Say January), and all other rows with other month names in the data set would not be part of the lookup.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
have you tried an index-match-match formula?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back