Conditionally change a number format

Airfix9

Hi Mr Excel-land - I have a nutty one!

I am building a bonus template for our salesforce which shows how they are performing against their pre-agreed criteria. Essentially, it works on % of annual salary (so, if this criterion is met then they earn 5% of annual salary and so on).

I would like this to be fairly funky so that, if they enter their annual salary in cell E4, the percentages change to £ values instead (thus, showing what they have ACTUALLY earned).

In order to manage this, I have done the mathematical calculation for the formula in the cell but was wondering if there is a non-VBA method to change the actual cell format? I have been working with the following customised format:

Code:
[>1]£#,##0.00;[>0]0.00%;""

...but, if the £ value is below £1 (as it may be in certain circumstances), then this appears as a percentage instead of a monetary value. The percentage will never be over 100% as it is percentage of maximum bonus.

Any ideas, please? I am completely mystified!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi,

What about if you use two cells? One for value and one for percentage. A little conditional formatting or whatever would be easy to manage - KISS.

Regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
Yes, this is a solution that I had considered. Perhaps it would have been better to mention that I wish to draw a graph based on this data also and the values on the graph should also switch from £ to % accordingly...

Upvote 0
What about a little generosity (;)) by changing the formula so that the monetary amount is always at least 1, then your existing format should be OK.:)

Upvote 0
Generous? My company? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Looks like I need to think of a VBA workaround - I am capable of that but didn't want to go down that route. Thanks for your help anyway, guys.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back