Conditionally format rows based duplicates only found in first column? Then Filter.

RyanF

Hi All,

I’ve seen a couple of threads that have started me in the right direction but I can’t figure out how to apply them to my situation. This will be a big info dump and if anyone sees an alternative solution that is obvious and I've missed then I'm all ears. I'm trying to conditionally format rows of data based on duplicates in the first column, then filter the results. I have a table of data with mutiple variables assigned to different "headings" that looks a little something like this:
A
B
C
D
E
Ref #
Heading
Variable 1
Variable 2
Department
Alpha
Nil
Nil
AAA
Beta
XXX
AAA
YYY
ZZZ
Gamma
XXX
BBB
YYY

<tbody>
</tbody>

The data then gets filtered using Excel’s normal built-in Filter function by putting the drop-downs across the header row.

You might be able to see where this is going…

If I filter column C for Variable 1 = YYY I’m going to get
A
B
C
D
E
Ref #
Heading
Variable 1
Variable 2
Department
YYY
YYY

<tbody>
</tbody>

When I need to see this instead:
A
B
C
D
E
Ref #
Heading
Variable 1
Variable 2
Department
Beta
YYY
AAA
Gamma
YYY
BBB

<tbody>
</tbody>

Merged cells are the work of the devil and it’s a requirement of the client to

1. Have the data formatted like the first table
  2. Use the normal Excel filter function

I’ve written a macro that fills in the blanks on the table to look like this:

A
B
C
D
E
Ref #
Heading
Variable 1
Variable 2
Department
Alpha
Nil
Nil
AAA
Beta
XXX
AAA
Beta
YYY
AAA
Beta
ZZZ
AAA
Gamma
XXX
BBB
Gamma
YYY
BBB

<tbody>
</tbody>

[selects the table, then GoTo Special selects the blanks, fills in the blanks with the cell above, then Copy and Pastes As Values the entire table again to fill everything in]
I’m stuck on how to input a formula into the conditional formatting window that will:
Format the text to white in columns A, B, and E based on there being a duplicate above that row in Column A only. i.e. conditionally format the values with a * below:
A
B
C
D
E
Ref #
Heading
Variable 1
Variable 2
Department
Alpha
Nil
Nil
AAA
Beta
XXX
AAA
0002*
Beta*
YYY
AAA*
0002*
Beta*
ZZZ
AAA*
Gamma
XXX
BBB
0003*
Gamma*
YYY
BBB*

<tbody>
</tbody>

If I use the conditional formula I found: =A1=A2, then cell E3 gets made white text when I don’t want it to, hence the “referencing column A” part of the question (Column A is always a unique ID number whereas Column E can have a duplicate in the row above). [Edit: Why can't I type Enter or put a line break here... I'll try re-edit at home...] When I go to filter on Column C for YYY again, the conditional formatting needs to realise to un-white the text, which is my next headache because it means conditional formatting that acts relative to hidden rows as a result of a filter... Oh and did I mention the client wants this done in 2003? This is an afterthought though – as I can force them to use 2010 if need be

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Found a solution to the conditional formatting part of my question. Conditionally formatting cell A3 to the formula =$A3=$A2 then copying the format across works. I'm still left with the second problem though:

How can I make conditional formatting treat hidden rows relatively (format based on the cell directly above it, treating a hidden row as if it is not there)

OR

How do I temporarily disable conditional formatting while auto-filter is in place

Upvote 0
Hi, investigate the subtotal function. The return value is zero when the cell is hidden.

That is genius. If the cells I was checking for duplicates were in a number format I could use this. Unfortunately, it's a string of letters and numbers (unlike in my original example).

Upvote 0
Maybe...

Select A2:B7 and in CF use this formula

=AND(SUBTOTAL(3,$A:$A)=COUNTA($A:$A),$A2=$A1)
Font --> white

Do the same for E2:E7

Applying filter...

A

B

C

D

E

Ref #​

Heading​

Variable 1​

Variable 2​

Department​

0002​

Beta​

YYY​

13​

AAA​

0003​

Gamma​

YYY​

21​

BBB​

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back