Conditionally format the lowest number in a column only if there are no ties

turtle44

I am looking for a simple way to highlight the winner of a golf "skin", which is awarded to the lowest score on a hole - WITHOUT ties. If there are two players with the lowest score, no "skin" is won. I've found all kinds of help around highlighting using the MIN function, but as far as I can tell, it would highlight two (or more) scores that were tied for the lowest.

I think rank.avg displays a "1" if the score is the lowest without ties and a 1.5 if there are two low scores that are tied and a 2 if there are 3 low scores that are tied, etc. I believe I should be able to isolate the conditional formatting to only highlight a cell if the rank.avg of that cell among all the other cells in the column is equal to exactly 1...but I can't figure out how to do that. Maybe my formatting is off?

You can see a basic example in the table below. Player 1 should win a skin for the score on hole 1 (the only 3) in column B and that player's score has a rank.avg on hole 1. Hole 2 and 3 do not have an outright winner as there is no rank.avg that equals 1.

My first attempt at conditional formatting was this formula:
=B2="RANK.AVG(b$2:b$9,1)=1"

I tried another:
="RANK.AVG(h$20:h$27,1)=1"

I believe I simply don't know how to format the formula for conditional formatting...please help :)

Hole 1 Scorerank.avgHole 2 Scorerank.avgHole 3 Scorerank.avg
Player 1
3​
1​
3​
1.5​
3​
2​
Player 2
4​
5​
3​
1.5​
3​
2​
Player 3
4​
5​
4​
5.5​
3​
2​
Player 4
4​
5​
4​
5.5​
4​
6​
Player 5
4​
5​
4​
5.5​
4​
6​
Player 6
4​
5​
4​
5.5​
4​
6​
Player 7
4​
5​
4​
5.5​
4​
6​
Player 8
4​
5​
4​
5.5​
4​
6​

Hole 1 Scorerank.avgHole 2 Scorerank.avgHole 3 Scorerank.avg
Player 13=RANK.AVG(B2,B$2:B$9,1)3=RANK.AVG(D2,D$2:D$9,1)3=RANK.AVG(F2,F$2:F$9,1)
Player 24=RANK.AVG(B3,B$2:B$9,1)3=RANK.AVG(D3,D$2:D$9,1)3=RANK.AVG(F3,F$2:F$9,1)
Player 34=RANK.AVG(B4,B$2:B$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(D4,D$2:D$9,1)3=RANK.AVG(F4,F$2:F$9,1)
Player 44=RANK.AVG(B5,B$2:B$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(D5,D$2:D$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(F5,F$2:F$9,1)
Player 54=RANK.AVG(B6,B$2:B$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(D6,D$2:D$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(F6,F$2:F$9,1)
Player 64=RANK.AVG(B7,B$2:B$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(D7,D$2:D$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(F7,F$2:F$9,1)
Player 74=RANK.AVG(B8,B$2:B$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(D8,D$2:D$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(F8,F$2:F$9,1)
Player 84=RANK.AVG(B9,B$2:B$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(D9,D$2:D$9,1)4=RANK.AVG(F9,F$2:F$9,1)

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Try using the MIN function and COUNTIF function

Excel Formula:
=AND(B2=MIN(B$2:B$9), COUNTIF(B$2:B$9, MIN(B$2:B$9))=1)

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Am I correct in thinking that you have only added rank.avg columns to help identify the skins winner(s). If so, another option might look like this.

23 05 16.xlsm
ABCD
1Hole 1 ScoreHole 2 ScoreHole 3 Score
2Player 1333
3Player 2433
4Player 3443
5Player 4444
6Player 5442
7Player 6444
8Player 7444
9Player 8444
Skins
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
B2:D9Expression=AND(B2=MIN(B$2:B$9),B2<>SMALL(B$2:B$9,2))textNO

Upvote 0
I apologize as my original table that I posted was meant to be explanatory (to show the avg.rank column), but is not how I want to design the spreadsheet. In reality, I want just a list of columns with the scores and I want to put a formula in the conditional formatting interface that would evaluate if the avg.rank of a particular cell in a particular column was 1 (indicating it was the only lowest score - no ties), and if so, then highlight the cell in a color of my choosing. I could not figure out any easier way than avg.rank=1 to identify the minimum value in a column AND guarantee that there are no ties.

I know I can figure avg.rank in another column, but I would prefer not to do that.

Upvote 0
I could not figure out any easier way than avg.rank=1 to identify the minimum value in a column AND guarantee that there are no ties.
So, did you actually try conditional formatting with either of the formulas suggested? (they both work for me)

.. and what about the suggestion in the first paragraph of my previous post? Best to try and make it as easy as possible for helpers to give you the best help. ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back