Conditonal Formatting

abacon1960

Board Regular
EXCEL 2013

I merged cells BS5-BV5. I have a drop down box that contains YES or NO. Based on YES, the cell has been formatted to green font and background. Based on NO the cell is formatted red font with red background (standard excel formats that pop up).

When I pull the dropdown and click on yes the cells BS5-BT5 are green. Cells BU5-BV5 are red. I have 3 monitors. If I click out of excel onto another monitor the cells go all green. If I go back in and click NO the opposite occurs. And then if I go to another monitor they all go red.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Wow....I foresee this is gonna be one of those mystery unexplained X-Files types of issues :eek:

What happens if you recreate the condition?
Is it possible to have the condition in a single cell that's widened?
Are all your monitors on the same refresh rate?

Upvote 0
Wow....I foresee this is gonna be one of those mystery unexplained X-Files types of issues :eek:

What happens if you recreate the condition?
Is it possible to have the condition in a single cell that's widened?
Are all your monitors on the same refresh rate?

All monitors are set at 60 refresh rate. I recreated the condition and got the same result. Based on how most of my spreadsheets are designed I use a standard cloumn width of 2 for more flexibility and symetry when creating them. I merge a lot of cells. I cannot remember if this happened in 2010 Excel or not. Definitely an "X_FILE" issue.

Upvote 0
I merged cells BS5-BV5
There's the issue right there!
Merged cells are BAD, BAD, BAD! Don't use them, ever!

Seriously though, they cause a myriad of problems with things like sorting and VBA (and looks like you may have found another), and really should be avoided at all costs. The good news is that you can get the exact visual effect as merged cells without all the associated problems by using the "Center Across Selection" formatting option. I would recommend going that way.

For Conditional Formatting, just apply the same formatting rules to each cell in that range (BS5-BV5) to get the same visual effect there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back