conflict personal.xlsb & Excel start menu

DavTer

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi There. I have excel 2013 running on Win 10 (1H21) with the Personal.XLSB with macros & Book.Xlsm (all hidden- Repeat - All Hidden) running in C:Users\Me\ etc MS\XLstart. All great except that upon start up I get a blank Sht etc but do NOT get the start menu. Can you assist me here, can I get the Start menu up with also the Pls.xlsb (remaining hidden) or is it one or the other? note my Options sets are: No Add Ins - active, General/ Display - ticked

Thankyou, Dave

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
If you right-click the ribbon and choose Customize ribbon, is the box next to Start (Home) unchecked by any chance?

Upvote 0
If you right-click the ribbon and choose Customize ribbon, is the box next to Start (Home) unchecked by any chance?
No Jan, I really don't know as to which ribbon you refer to. This is office 2013 - no buttons, just an icon in ribbom at bottom of screen, no options other than unpin, I have hunted thru 5 "Ribbons" inc Excel/file/options/ Gen etc, etc, also no further options via main menu/Office .... /excel.
Regards

Upvote 0
Can you show a screen-shot of which "start menu" you are referring to please? I do not have "an icon in ribbom at bottom of screen", the ribbon is at the top of the Excel window so I think I must be misunderstanding something?

Upvote 0
Can you show a screen-shot of which "start menu" you are referring to please? I do not have "an icon in ribbom at bottom of screen", the ribbon is at the top of the Excel window so I think I must be misunderstanding something?
T U Jan for your further reply.
I used the term "Start Screen" you probably think of it as the "Backstage" wherever that name came from. I have inserted a min copy of it here below. And yes the boxes in options have all been ticked, unticked, reticked..... I think the discussion now centres on the blank page that shows after the excel icon has been clicked. But as to what shows depends on what has been hidden via the View hide/unhide. with the personal.XLSB. and enclosed also with it in the C:\Users\ etc\XLstart, NOT via the C:\Properties\ \MS Office\etc, I have made both a BOOK.XLSM and a SHEET.XLSM which are both Hidden via the View control. So with the Pls, the book.xlsm & a sheet.xlsm all hidden. all hidden via the view control, then at start up I get a blank worksheet, formatted as I previously set it up, hdrs, ftrs, no grid, etc, At the top of the page above the ribbon labels it as BOOK.XLSM - Excel
:This is fine !!! BUT I would like what I used to have, ie a Start menu or Backstage. On a final note to these ops, If/when I click once on the file option then the page I want drops down, - the start or backstage. Clear as Mud?? Regards, David
1626828508389.png
1626828826533.png

Upvote 0
I don't know a whole lot about this and actually prefer to have it turned off but from the above I can't tell if this has been clarified.

Do you have this box ticked ?
Under File > Options > General > Start up options (right at the bottom) > Show the Start screen when this application starts

1626835482630.png

For more info: Customize how Excel starts

Upvote 0
I expect Alex has pointed you to where you re-instate the backstage setting.

One comment: To have a pre-defined workbook/worksheet to use as the template for new empty workbooks/worksheets, save your book.xlsm in XLSTART to book.xltm (as file type Macro-enabled template) and do the same with Sheet.xlsm. Then delete both xlsm files from your XLSTART folder.

Upvote 0
Solution
Of course the general/Show The Start screen is ticked. Ticking/unticking has made no diffence. I had asuumed way back that this was the key to showing the "Start" screen,
And yes I will change the suffixes of the xlsm to XLTM, thankyou
Regards

Upvote 0
Of course the general/Show The Start screen is ticked. Ticking/unticking has made no diffence. I had asuumed way back that this was the key to showing the "Start" screen,
And yes I will change the suffixes of the xlsm to XLTM, thankyou
Regards
Well now that I have changed the suffixes to .XLTM of both the Book & the Sheet files - Peace has returned! Now upon opening Excel with the personal.XLSB, and the book.XLTM & the sheet.XLTM set as such, the previous xlsm files being deleted, all works like a charm. I can now again open Excel and go direct to the Start file. Thankyou greatly for all the assistance given.
Regards
David

Upvote 0
Yes, the start screen is circumvented as soon as you open an Excel file from e.g. Windows Explorer. And that is exactly what happens to "normal" Excel files in your XLSTART folder; they behave as if you opened them by a double-click and prevent the backstage from displaying.
Funny how preferences differ, my first action on any system is to uncheck that backstage box as I really don't like it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back