Confused by a formula

rintelen

Board Regular
Here's something I need explaining. I found this formulae in a spreadsheet. And this example. I cannot figure out how it works. I plug in the numbers and I don't get 342, but that's the answer given by the PHD Al Bartlett, so he cannot be wrong. Can someone explain what are the values he uses for k and r please. R clearly must equal 6.81 x 10^21 barrels

The volume of the earth is 6.81 x 10^21 barrels, which would last for 4.1 x 10^11 yr if the 1970 rate of consumption of oil held constant with no growth. The use of Eq. (6) shows that if the rate of consumption of petroleum continued on the growth curve of 7.04 % / yr of Fig. 2, this earth full of oil will last only 342 yr!

T = ( 1 / k ) ln ( k R / r + 1 )

where r is the current rate of consumption at t = 0, e is the base of natural logarithms, k is the fractional growth per year, and t is the time in years, and size of the resource is R

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I'm trying to figure this out but I feel like something is missing. These sorts of exponential growth or decay problems are usually set up so you are given an initial condition and enough information (in this case the amount of time the resource will last with a steady rate of consumption) so that you can solve for an unknown constant which you then use to set up the general formula. I messed with the formula you have here and I'm getting some non-sensical answers. Do you have any more information?

Upvote 0
I think someone might be on their way to revoke my math degree:LOL:

When I use 7.04% I get the 342.05 number. Is there a reason to use 13.4%. I didn't read the whole article so I'm probably missing something.

Upvote 0
But I should also point out that I'm using:

r0 = 16.7 x 10<SUP>9</SUP> barrels / yr

as shown in table VII.

Does any of this help?

Upvote 0
Thanks. That's what I was missing. You see, he didn't mention that in the text. Marvellous.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back