Confused Criteria?: SumIfs() time values in cells versus those from excel TIME() func

OaklandJim

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Trying to use multiple criteria in SumIfs on a series of 8760 hourly data including time-of-day (SeriesTimes) and values to sum (SeriesScaledValues). Works well, sort of.

For two criteria in Sumifs I use values in two cells whose values are 1. start time (rrStartTime1) and 2. end time (rrEndTime1). (FYI rr indicates relative row addressing.)
I looked, the serial time values are correct in those two cells.

If I use both CELL values for criteria it works. If I use two EXCEL TIME FUNCTION generated values it works. But, sometimes I also need to put in a hardwired start or end time. But, of course I cannot figger out how to do that.

Funcs 1 & 2 work, #3 does not.

=SUMIFS(SeriesScaledValues,SeriesTimes,">="&rrStartTime1,SeriesTimes,"<=" & rrEndTime1)

=SUMIFS(SeriesScaledValues, SeriesTimes,">=" & TIME(1,0,0),SeriesTimes,"<"& TIME(5,0,0))

=SUMIFS(SeriesScaledValues, SeriesTimes,">=" & rrStartTime1, SeriesTimes, "<"& TIME(1,0,0))

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
It would be useful if you provided an example Excel file that demonstrates the problem, or at least the formulas(?) that generate SeriesScaledValues and SeriesTimes. Upload the example Excel file to a file-sharing website, and post the download URL in a response. I like box.net/files. Caveat: Some participants will object because they cannot or will not download files.

I suspect that the problem is due to binary arithmetic anomalies in the SeriesScaledValues and/or SeriesTimes; probably the latter. SeriesTimes is not the same value as 1:0:0 when formatted to 15 significant digits, which is what SUMIFS compares.

The remedy: for any time calculation, explicitly round to the nearest second, to wit: =--TEXT(calculation, "[h]:m:s").

BTW, I suspect that the problem seems to be with only 1:0:0 only by coincidence.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Joe. I'll fiddle some more. Same problem with TIME(5,0,0). Kluge is to assign a time value using Time() func in name's RefersTo. If I use that name in formulas it works. Odd that. Seems inconsistent.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Joe. I'll fiddle some more. Same problem with TIME(5,0,0). Kluge is to assign a time value using Time() func in name's RefersTo. If I use that name in formulas it works. Odd that. Seems inconsistent.

Funny! That's how I read your original posting originally. But then I saw that you wrote:
Funcs 1 & 2 work, #3 does not.
=SUMIFS(SeriesScaledValues,SeriesTimes,">="&rrStartTime1,SeriesTimes,"<=" & rrEndTime1)
=SUMIFS(SeriesScaledValues, SeriesTimes,">=" & TIME(1,0,0),SeriesTimes,"<"& TIME(5,0,0))
=SUMIFS(SeriesScaledValues, SeriesTimes,">=" & rrStartTime1, SeriesTimes, "<"& TIME(1,0,0))

No matter. There is nothing "odd" or "inconsistent"; simply "by coincidence", as I said.

You still do not provide concrete examples (values and formulas, or downloadable file), as I requested. So I will not be able to help you further.

But just to help you understand the "coincidence" of it all, consider the following example.

ABC
211/24/2019 1:00
311/24/2019 6:00
45:000.208333333335759A4: =A3-A2
55:000.208333333333333A5: =TIME(5,0,0)
6FALSEA6: =A4 < A5
911/24/2019 2:00
1011/24/2019 7:00
115:000.208333333328483A11: =A10-A9
125:000.208333333333333A12: =TIME(5,0,0)
13TRUEA13: =A11 < A12

(Sorry about the format of the table. The new forum interface is "broken", IMHO.)

Column B shows the adjacent values in column A formatted as Number with 15 decimal places, in order to display 15 significant digits for these examples.

The point is: when A2 and A3 contain date and time, the binary estimate of the time part has less precision; consequently, their difference has less than precision. Similarly with A9 and A10.

Sometimes the result of the calculation is greater than 5:00 (A6); sometimes it less than 5:00 (A13); and sometimes it might be equal.

Note that we cannot see the difference even when A4:A5 and A11:A12 are formatted as Custom [h]:mm:ss.000 .

Be that as it may, all of that is wild speculation, again because you neglect to provide concrete examples for me to work with.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back