Confused on why XLOOKUP is slower on an updated table.

Mr_Phil

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I took two identical except for values "blue" tables and unpivoted them. I took the MAX column and added it to the first unpivoted table. I thought that it would lookup faster but it doesn't appear to do that. The lookups on the green table seem to take significantly longer and I am confused.
I'm updating our workbook that controls how much is picked from the warehouse and pushed out to techs in the field because corporate wants it that way.
The blue tables are 122 columns across and 184 rows or so deep. Total of 22143 cells with static data in them. 44286 cells in total for both tables.
The "green" table made by unpivoting and attaching the fourth colum is four columns across and 12904 rows deep. Acouple of data changes leaves 42456 cells holding the static data. So in a head to head challenge the updated workbook should calculate faster because it currently has less data cells. The screen shot is the entire sample. I put it here in case the link to the shared sample doesn't work. SAMPLE WORKBOOK.

1676241298088.png

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi

=INDEX(B2:G7,MATCH(B18,A2:A7,0),MATCH(B17,B1:G1,0))

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi

=INDEX(B2:G7,MATCH(B18,A2:A7,0),MATCH(B17,B1:G1,0))
Thanks. One follow on question if I may? I took your formula and parsed it out and got this syntax. Is this correct or did I misread? =INDEX(valueRange,MATCH(1stLookupItem,1stLookupItemRange,0),MATCH(2ndLookupItem,2ndLookupItemRange,0))

Then using that syntax I tried to work it on the "green" table. But I got a #Ref error. I was looking to find the number 14 in Part3 Timmy Min.
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(K2:K37,MATCH(B18,I2:I37,0),MATCH(B17,J2:J37,0))

I really appreciate your looking at my issue and helping me out.

Upvote 0
the first array in your index formula is only one column. Maybe that is the problem?

Upvote 0
the first array in your index formula is only one column. Maybe that is the problem?
Thank you for looking at it. I looked and Columns turned out to be part of it.

I tried this
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(K2:K37,MATCH(B18&B17,I2:I37&J2:J37,0))
and it worked. Instead of a separate Match for each lookup value I concantentated them. I was getting hung up on the logic. The working formula to lookup the green table turned out to be '=INDEX(ValueRangeWanted,MATCH(1stLookup&2ndLookup,1stLookupRange&2ndLookupRange,0))

@ISY got me in the neighborhood. I sure appreciate his and your help. Learned that Xlookup isn't the cure for all that ails us after all. Kinda like finding out that Santa might not be real.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back