Connect/disconnect separate data points in line chart?

goldfrapp01

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with line charts in Excel 2013. I'd like to chart performance by year (2010, 2011, 2012) where the dots are connected with a line, and I'd like to have the target performance as a point which is disconnected from the rest.

I worked on an existing document and (2010, 2011, 2012) + (target) appeared fine, but when I added 2013, it connected to the target point, rather than to the previous years' points. So now I have two lines: 1st line (2010, 2011, 2012)+(GAP)+ 2nd line (2013, target).

The data table has the data series in columns C,D,E,F for data and H for the target point. The select data series looks like:

=(Trends!$B$34:$F$34,Trends!$H$34)

where G has been left empty - hoping that this will create a gap between the points but it didn't. I tried "Select Data" > Hidden and empty cells > Show empty cells as gaps, this did not work either.

I am trying stuff for hours without success, does anybody know how to connect and disconnect points on the line?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Try plotting Trends!$C$34:$H$34. Alternatively you may want to set out your data like this, with two series on the chart:

Excel 2010
BCDEF
2Actual10152025
3Target18
Trends

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back