Connect to an internal named range or table in excel for MSQuery

doug firr

Board Regular
Someone on this forum recently told me about MSQuery which I'm really existed about. He did say it was fiddly but I can;t event take it for a test drive!

I have a tab in my workbook called "DataBase" with all the data. I have selected the whole thing and given the range a name "DataBase". I have also tried turning it into a table "Table1".

But how do I open this feature to start using MSQuery? On the data tab in the ribbon there is an option under external data for "From MS Query" but when I navigate to the excel workbook I'm in I get an error message "The data source contains no visible tables".

Can someone hold my hand here to get me started? The range of cells "DataBase" which is also a table "Table1" has all the data I need if I could only query it I could take it from there I just can't get up n going.

How do I get my environment so that I can start querying "Table1" or "Database" named range?

Excel 2007.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi Comfy. Yes, it starts in A1 on a separate tab "Database" which has a named range starting in A1 called "Database" which is the same range as "Table1". How do I open MSQUery to start querying this range?

Upvote 0
I had this problem once but I can't remember the details.

If I remember correctly my issue was either due to blank rows in the worksheet or the file being .xlsm/containing macros, or something else.

Upvote 0
Scrub that, that wouldn't allow me to use MS Query to join tables I then stumbled across the following.

Once you get the message, "This Data Source Contains No Visible Tables" click ok and you should get the "Query Wizard - Choose Columns" window.

Select option and tick System Tables, this should then display all the tables in the workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back