Consistent file corruption with ODBC link. Mac Excel 2011

the3rdParty

I have a file that links from Excel Mac 2011 to a local filemaker 12 source via ODBC. The link produces a table in excel of some 7000 rows, 50 columns. This data is then summarized via a pivot tables in the same workbook.

The excel file is consistently becoming corrupted. It will work fine for a while, including data refresh, saving, closing & opening. I am always careful to allow plenty of time for both data refreshes and saves. However, after closing the file once or twice it will become damaged and on opening I get a message that "some content is unreadable, do you want to repair". On repairing, the file seems to work OK, and the log file will read:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logFileName>Repair Result to data8 07855.xml</logFileName><summary>Errors were detected in file 'Macintosh HD:Users:jw:Desktop:ODBC test:data8.xlsx'</summary><repairedRecords summary="Following is a list of repairs:"><repairedRecord>Repaired Records: Table from /xl/tables/table1.xml (List)</repairedRecord></repairedRecords></recoveryLog>

This doesn't really tell me that much, apart from the fact that Table1 (the table produced by the ODBC import) was damaged.

Further closing and opening of the same file will then always come up with the warning the "some content is unreadable" on opening. If I start from scratch again (new file, new ODBC table) the result repeats itself and the new file will become damaged after a couple of close / opens.

Anyone else experienced this? Any workaround?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Are you using the most up-to-date versions of Excel, Filemaker and ODBC driver? Which driver are you using?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KB13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back