Consolidate / compare trial balances based on their codes?

Fabulist

Board Regular
Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether it is possible to consolidate and / or compare two different trial balances in Excel without the use of macros that are out of my league to edit for future use if too complex.

For those who do not know, a trial balance follows an arithmetic logic, starting from the smaller and going up to the higher number code, which are usually separated by either "." or "-". An example of what I am talking about is in this file: Trial Balance Consolidation Example

1. In the "Consolidation Example.xlsx" file there are two trial balances in two different sheets.

2. Split comparison serves the purpose of comparing the two trial balances and adding gaps according to differences in codes. They both meet up in the end and all intermediary codes that are missing are being left alone with an empty row in the corresponding trial balance. If a code jumps from .07 to .10, it is not required to have every other in between, the comparison should only affect the codes present in the files, not the ones that could exist in-between.

3. Consolidation shows how the two trial balances would merge to be one if that was required.

It is more important to keep track of code separation rather than description separation. However, if two descriptions match on a different code during consolidation, I would like to be able to know that if possible.

Do you think what I am trying to do is possible?

Thank you for reading!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back