Consolidate Data, Combine Text, and Calculate Age

VtQuest

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working with a spreadsheet regarding housing for homeless people. The people are represented by ID numbers. There are many duplicates. I want to sum SOME of the values associated with the IDs while also combining text notes. The values I wish to sum are Number of Nights. I wish to combine the text in the Causes column and in the Housing Authorized column (separately). I’d also like to calculate age from birthdates, and number of calls based on call date. (Call date is not listed in the first example.)

I have familiarity with Excel in its simple form, not at this level. (I’m sure, to some people, this is pretty simple, but not to me - yet.) So, I’m not familiar with many formula terms or query tools. Please respond with this in mind.

The first image is a sample of the data, with identifying information obscured. The second image is of the desired result.

Thank you for your help.
Sample Data.PNG
Result Desired.PNG

Hi Paul,

As always, you are of great assistance! I'll ponder those options but in the meantime will see how we can use the reports for my homelessness report.

No one really knows how many people are lacking permanent, consistent housing - anywhere, whether in the UK (I assume) or US. So, estimates are conjured up. We hope this report will provide a broader view of those who are in that situation. Many, many thanks for your contributions to our effort.

I realize that the guidelines of this forum do not allow for emailing members or getting their address. If the latter was possible, you'd be sent one of Vermont's most well-known products, maple syrup. And, some of our Vermont 211 swag.

Best Regards,
Beth

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back