Consolidate data depending on date value

pete2586

Hi,

I've tried looking at similar posts on this website and using the solutions but haven't managed to get anything to work.

My problem seems quite simple; I have two columns of data, A and B, where column A contains dates and column B a list of values. Some dates in column A are duplicated with each having unique values in column B. I would like to combine all dates that are the same by summing the the related values in column B then deleting all additional rows, leaving one record for each date in column A and the summed values in column B.

There is also another issue. Not every date is listed in column A, currently only dates that have a corresponding value in column B are given. I need to insert all missing dates into column A and obviously leave the column B for these inserted dates blank.

I hope this is clear enough, I've found it quite hard to write down the problem. I hope you can help.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
1) You could create a Pivot Table and then value it and then range name (Dates) it with date in the left column.

2) Create a column with all the dates (Column C)
3) Column D =Vlookup(C1,Dates,2,false) copy down Column D
4) Value Column D

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. It all works perfectly after briefly fighting my fear of pivot tables.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back