Constant expression ?

Westbury

Board Regular
Within a macro I have this line

Const strFileName = Range("B22").Value

When I try to run the macro it gives a warning "constant expression required". Can someone help me with an explanation / solution please?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Range("B22").Value is not a constant, Range("B22") it's a reference to a range and it's value, i.e. Value property, can change.

Upvote 0
By declaring a constant, you can assign a meaningful name to a value. You use the Const statement to declare a constant and set its value. After a constant is declared, it cannot be modified or assigned a new value.

Reference:

It means that you cannot put a cell, since the content of the cell can change, so you must put a fixed data, such as "hello" or a number like 54.

Simply use:
strFileName = Range("B22").Value

Upvote 0
It is my understanding that all constants are replaced by their values before the code is physically compiled into executable form. In essence, this part of the process acts like a word processor modifying a text file by replacing small pieces of text with other small pieces of text to produce a modified text file (the "final" code)... only then is the code (text file) compiled into executable form.

Upvote 0
Rick

That may be the case for languages that are compiled but VBA is interpreted.

Upvote 0
VBA says that Range("B22").Value is not constant, not because the value in the cell can change, but because Range is a function, not a constant.
Similarly Const myVal As String = UCase("cat") would get the same error.

A work-around (that requires no change in the other coding) would be to cast strFileName as a function

Code:
Public Function strFileName() as String
    strFileName =  Range("B22").Value
End Function
Although I would further qualify the range.

Upvote 0
Rick

That may be the case for languages that are compiled but VBA is interpreted.
According to Wikipedia (Visual Basic for Applications - Wikipedia)... "Code written in VBA is compiled to Microsoft P-Code (pseudo-code), a proprietary intermediate language, which the host applications (Access, Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) store as a separate stream in COM Structured Storage files (e.g., .doc or .xls) independent of the document streams. The intermediate code is then executed by a virtual machine (hosted by the host application)." It is during the compiling into P-Code that I believe the constant names are replaced by their values (text replacing text)... it's during execution by the hosted virtual machine where I believe the line-by-line interpretation takes place.

Upvote 0
Guys,

That started an unexpected debate! I've gone off to re-consider my code. Thanks for your comments and please consider this enquiry closed.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back