Contains Filter VBA

pure vito

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have this code that allows me to search trough a list of items and it works great however some of those items contain two words and the filter doesn't
search for that is someone able to amend this code to use a contains filter please, Thanks in advance.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'Updateby Extendoffice 20160606
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  Range("B10").Select
    Selection.AutoFilter
    Selection.AutoFilter
    Range("B4").Select
   If Target.Address = Range("B4").Address Then
       Range("B11:i30000").CurrentRegion.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, CriteriaRange:=Range("B3:B4")
       Application.ScreenUpdating = True
   End If
End Sub

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Unless I am misunderstanding this, the filter is using what is in B4 to filter the data.
If you want it to filter based on contains, simply surround you word with "*" in B4.
eg if you are trying to find "test"and it could be in a sentence then put *test* in B4

Upvote 0
That is correct and great advice thank you, however i am sharing this sheet with others that will have the same problem is it possible to have the code do this without adding * thanks for your time

Upvote 0
If B3 is always going to have the same Column name in it ie you are only ever going to filter on the same column, then switch from AdvancedFilter to AutoFilter.
If the heading changes then the code would need to add the "*" to the value entered in B4.

Upvote 0
Thanks again Alex admittedly I am a novice, I have tried replacing AdvancedFilter with AutoFilter with no luck, my intension is to keep the same Column name,
I'm just having a tough time replacing anything in the current code to make this work without having to type in "*" for every search

Upvote 0
What about you show us some small (say B3:I20) dummy, but representative, sample data, with XL2BB and explain again in relation to that sample data?

Upvote 0
Hi Peter, Thanks for taking the time, I'm not fully understanding you meaning apologies, but I have added these pictures the "name" box is B3 and search bar is B4 when I type
in a name it automatically searches, the first image is blank without a search the second image is using the code I have posted above but as you will see in the third image it doesn't
give me all the information I need ie if I search Charizard and not type in *Charizard then Blains Charizard doesn't show up, this is why I need the contains search, I hope this makes sense

1663138573520.png

1663138618424.png
1663138655806.png

Upvote 0
Unfortunately we cannot copy from an image to test - hence my suggestion for XL2BB. ;)

In any case I would suggest a change to AutoFilter as Alex suggested above. Perhaps something like this

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Target.Address = "$B$4" Then
    If ActiveSheet.FilterMode Then ShowAllData
    If Len(Target.Value) > 0 Then Range("B10").CurrentRegion.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="*" & Target.Value & "*"
  End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
That works perfectly thank you Peter/Alex, I just wasn't able to apply the solution on my own 😅, but I did look at the guide to install XL2BB, but I had difficulty with that to
I'm currently working on my work computer and I hit a few administration walls trying to install it apologies for that it would be handy for all to have that option to be able
to easily share, Thanks again i can move forward onto the next issue now 😅(y)

Upvote 0
@Peter_SSs but but but .... I was busy writing all the reasons why we needed the XL2BB ;). Mine looks just like your although I didn't think to test for no data and I did add screenupdating and enableevent. :(
I'm not fully understanding you meaning apologies
Peter provided a link the XL2BB web page both under the word and in his sign off.
Images mean we have to manually create the data. It also often also does not provide all the information as is the case with your images. No Row Numbers or Column references, no sheet name and often data types and formulas come into play as well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back