Continues data table update from external sources

ajocius1

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I often get to this problem while working on different projects. I do take data from external sources and then I need to copy to my database only new records. Good example would be bank statement. I keep all records of bank transactions in excel sheet (or Access table, or plain txt;csv file). Everytime I want to update data, I download new set of data. Usually I can select date range I want to download from the bank. I would like to be able to set approximate range here. Let say if I remember I did last download in february, I could just take date range from January 1 until now. I do not want to try to define precise cut off between two downloads. It is time consuming and boring... I would like to set up some rules while importing so that just unique records would pass.

I was thinking to combine all field values of single row into string and then search if that string exists. However this might be very time consuming. Please note, that I am searching for some method I can apply on multiple data imports, some of them might be 10 000 rows or longer.

I have then thought to use a query to pass unique records only, this might sound as a better choice than above.

Any other methods, ideas?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
"Advanced Filter" -> "Unique records" migth be the way to go too..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back