Control toolbox vs. Forms

dwhims

Board Regular
Hi all!

Can someone give me a quick and dirty explanation for when I should use the Control Toolbox and when I should use the Form Toolbar? So many of the options look the same, and I'm not sure I get the difference. I'm just undertaking a fairly large design project, and want to use the most efficient method, but I'm not sure what that is.

Thanks!
:confused:

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I'm afraid there isn't really a quick and dirty explanation, especially since there are so many options.

It really depends on what you want to do.

Perhaps if you could give some details we could give you detailed advice and/or point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0
I write my own code in each module. Using the control toolbox gives you this option. From what I've noticed the difference is using the form toolbar you need to have your macros already written and then just assign them to the control you want.

Using the control toolbox you get to write the code after placing the control on the worksheet.

So to me they are basically the same and the user decides whether to write the macro after placing the controls on the worksheet or writing the macro first.

There may be other differences.

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! Here are a couple of examples:

In one part of my questionnaire, I want the user to enter their current software. I'd like to offer a couple of standard choices, along with a choice for Other. If they select Other, they need to be able to enter the software they are using. I was thinking of listing the standard softwares with checkboxes next to them, and if they check Other, give them a line or pop-up box to fill in.

In another area, I would like to use radio buttons (I think they're called Option buttons on both toolbars) to allow the user to select multiple services they are requesting. The options they select will drive later parts of the form (if they select Option A, it takes them to the Page A to fill out additional information).

Do those make sense?

Upvote 0
Well for a start you can't use option buttons for multiple selections.

What about listboxes, comboboxes, userforms etc?

Upvote 0
That's right -- I'm just confusing myself.

But if that won't work, I could just list the options with check boxes, and have them check the one's they're interested in. At the bottom of the page, I can put a Next button, and I think I can program that to take them to the next page based on their yes/no (check/uncheck) responses to the options. A similar Next button will appear on the bottom of each page, walking them through the form.

I'm basically creating a questionnaire that will step them through the various options available, and I want to skip the parts of the questionnaire that they are not interested in. I've filled out enough forms to have a general idea of what i'm looking for -- now it's just a matter of creating it and programming it to work!

Thanks again for your reply -- glad I'm not the only one spending my Sunday thinking about Excel!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back