Controlling inventory

mcmemc

My need is simple. Create a spreadsheet that does the following:
- keep an accurate count at all time of how many of a certain type of serial numbered item I have on hand.
- keep a list of each serial number I have on hand
- when serial numbers are removed, they should be removed from my on-hand list
- when serial numbers are added... see above
- whenever a transaction occurs, a signature should be required for each (via a tablet PC screen or a signature pad)

An example, I have 0 coupons. I now add 10 with serial numbers 1 - 10. I should be able to see that I have 10 on hand, and that I have #1, #2, #3, etc. I remove 1-4. I should see that I now have 6 on hand, and that they are serial #5, #6, #7 etc. If I try to remove #1 again, I should get some sort of error since it no longer exists.

Alright, it's not simple. But I seriously need something that does most/all of the above. If you could help, you'd be my hero for sure. Think of it as a challenge. I'd be more than happy to clarify if you need.
Thanks

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Think of it as a challenge.
Friendly advice here because maybe you are new to these newsgroups, but honestly, why don't you think of it as a challenge, start it on your own and post back with specific questions if you get stuck along the way after you've searched google and help files, seeing as it's your project.

What you presented here is basically wanting someone to build you an application from the ground up, and the intricacies of doing that to satisfy any business needs that arise with those inventories would require ongoing dialog to address the needs of your business in order to make the project reliably functional.

Especially, building the interaction between the application and a tablet PC or signature pad involves more than the everyday newsgroup approach.

If you are totally unfamiliar with Excel, which we all were at some point, that's OK...in that case hiring a consultant would be your best bet rather than relying on newsgroup posts to build it.

And, this sounds like a database, so Access or some other platform might really be what you need.

Upvote 0
My need is simple. Create a spreadsheet that does the following:
- keep an accurate count at all time of how many of a certain type of serial numbered item I have on hand.
- keep a list of each serial number I have on hand
- when serial numbers are removed, they should be removed from my on-hand list
- when serial numbers are added... see above
- whenever a transaction occurs, a signature should be required for each (via a tablet PC screen or a signature pad)

An example, I have 0 coupons. I now add 10 with serial numbers 1 - 10. I should be able to see that I have 10 on hand, and that I have #1, #2, #3, etc. I remove 1-4. I should see that I now have 6 on hand, and that they are serial #5, #6, #7 etc. If I try to remove #1 again, I should get some sort of error since it no longer exists.

Alright, it's not simple. But I seriously need something that does most/all of the above. If you could help, you'd be my hero for sure. Think of it as a challenge. I'd be more than happy to clarify if you need.
Thanks

Agree as above, it should be YOU who should think of it as a challenge.
here are some tips for you:
1) Count
2) Countif
3) Advanced Filtering of the Unique Field list

Upvote 0
I apologize. I only meant to get some advice on what may be helpful. Please disregard this post, and act as if it never existed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back