Controlling multiple pivot tables with same slicers when data tables are many-to-many

rocket_dog

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I've been a long-time Excel user (25 years) and this one has me stumped. I think I've been staring at it too long or something, but I'll be darned if I can find a way to make it work. I've created a simplified simulation of my data, which consists of the following tables and columns:
  1. Revenue table
    1. Part #
    2. Category
    3. Customer
    4. Revenue
    5. Month
  2. Labor table
    1. Part #
    2. Labor
    3. Month
  3. Materials table
    1. Part #
    2. Materials
    3. Month
  4. Month table
    1. Month
  5. Parts table
    1. Part #
I've loaded everything into Power Pivot, and created relationships between the Month table and the other tables with a "Month" column, and I also created relationships between the Parts table and the other tables with a Part # column. So far so good.

Here's the problem: I need to be able to filter for "Category" and "Customer", at which point I need to see the Labor table and Materials get filtered by any Part # that matches the Category(ies) and/or Customer(s) that are being filtered by. Because all the tables contain multiple months, they also contain multiple Part #s, so I can't join the tables that way. Also, everything else is a many-to-many relationship: a Part # can appear in multiple Categories and have multiple Customers, a Category can have multiple Part #s and multiple Customers, and a Customer can have multiple Part #s and multiple Categories.

I realize that the Labor and Materials tables have no Category or Customer detail, so I would not expect to see those filtered to show only the Labor or Materials associated with a particular Category or Customer. However, what I would like to see is the Labor and Materials tables filtered to display only the Part #s that are associated with the Category and/or Customer that's being filtered (sliced).

For example, in my attached screen shot "pivots_filters_Showroom_Acme", you can see that the "Revenue" pivot table displays A3 but not B5 or C7, yet B5 and C7 are still appearing in the Labor and Materials pivot tables. What I want is for the Labor and Materials pivot tables to only reflect the Part #s that are available in the Revenue pivot table after the slicers have been selected.

Is there any way to use slicers to filter all three tables in this way?

Attachments

• tbl_Revenue.PNG
    tbl_Revenue.PNG
    42.5 KB · Views: 11
  • tbl_Labor.PNG
    tbl_Labor.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 9
  • tbl_Materials.PNG
    tbl_Materials.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 8
  • tbl_Month.PNG
    tbl_Month.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 8
  • tbl_Parts.PNG
    tbl_Parts.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 9
  • power_pivot.PNG
    power_pivot.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 9
  • pivots_unfiltered.PNG
    pivots_unfiltered.PNG
    29.2 KB · Views: 11
  • pivots_filtered_January.PNG
    pivots_filtered_January.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 11
  • pivots_filtered_A3.PNG
    pivots_filtered_A3.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 12
  • pivots_filtered_Showroom_Acme.PNG
    pivots_filtered_Showroom_Acme.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back