Convert 4.5E+15 to a real number??? How?

Mister H

Hi All:

I was not really sure of what to search for so i thought I would just ask if someone knows a quick way of converting a column of numbers to a different format. for example the number:

4.5E+15 should be 4502200005979420

I tried changing the column to Text and it works but I have to click in each cell before it changes. Is ther a quick way of doing this? :confused:

THANKS,
Mark

Sorry the person said they may not require the 0 at the end...

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
You could change the number format to 0

More ominously, if that data was imported from somewhere else and was inadvertently converted to a number, it may have had additional digits that were permanently lost in the conversion.

Upvote 0
Low tech quick way after converting to text value is press F2 and Enter repeatedly till end of column. Assuming pressing the Enter key will move to the next row down and that this is a one off exercise.

Upvote 0
THANKS to BOTH for your answers.

I tried the F2 and it converts the number one at a time. THANKS as I am not sure how many times I have double clicked a cell in the past to change it so this will definately be used in the future :biggrin:

The formatting to 0 changed all entries at once :biggrin: THANKS. Is there any drawback to using this format? I have never used it before. Is it simply telling Excel to show a text number?

THANKS Again,
Mark

Upvote 0
Is it simply telling Excel to show a text number?
No, it tells Excel to display the number with no decimals and no thousands separator.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back