Convert Data in Sub-Total Format to Pivot Friendly

Jerry138889

A program I use outputs data in a non-pivot friendly format. It has already grouped the data with different levels.

I am trying to convert this data into data that is pivot table friendly.

I currently have data like this where Location is always filled out and will have at least one (but possibly more) entries but Shop Name and Employee might have blank/zero values or an actual value.

Germany
Shop Name
Aldi
Employee
Sally
Harry
Peter
Shop Name
Carrefour
Employee
Francis
Petra
Shop Name
Walmart
Shop Name
Tesco
Morrison's
Employee
Jerry

And I want to convert it to this type of data so that I can manipulate it in a pivot table

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

LocationShop Name Employee
France
Germany Aldi Sally
Harry
Peter
FranceCarrefour Francis
Petra
USAWalmart
UKTesco
Morrison's Jerry

<colgroup><col width="64" span="3" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
The data as given is ambiguous. Is Jerry an employee of Tesco or Morrison's; is Aldi in France too?
Can program be accessed to give a different format of report? Is there an underlying DB that could be accessed directly?

Upvote 0
The data as given is ambiguous. Is Jerry an employee of Tesco or Morrison's; is Aldi in France too?
Can program be accessed to give a different format of report? Is there an underlying DB that could be accessed directly?

Hi.,

I thought the second grid would have made that clear but if not then my apologies.

Jerry is an employee of Morrison's only, Aldi is in Germany only.

No, this is the only format unfortunately and the underlying DB is very tricky and time consuming to navigate (would take a week+ to get the right team to query it and return the correct data).

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please check if there's a "write your own report" option. Could a new report with three columns (Location, Shop Name, Employee) be created?

Upvote 0
something like this?

Option1
CNTLocationShop NameEmployee
1​
France,GermanyAldiSally,Harry,Peter
2​
FranceCarrefourFrancis,Petra
3​
USAWalmart
4​
UKTesco,Morrison'sJerry
Option2
CNTLocationShop NameEmployee
1​
FranceAldiSally
1​
FranceAldiHarry
1​
FranceAldiPeter
1​
GermanyAldiSally
1​
GermanyAldiHarry
1​
GermanyAldiPeter
2​
FranceCarrefourFrancis
2​
FranceCarrefourPetra
3​
USAWalmart
4​
UKTescoJerry
4​
UKMorrison'sJerry

Upvote 0
and Option2 with PivotTable:

LocationShop NameEmployee
FranceAldiHarry
Peter
Sally
CarrefourFrancis
Petra
GermanyAldiHarry
Peter
Sally
UKMorrison'sJerry
TescoJerry
USAWalmart(blank)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
something like this?

Option1
[COLOR=[URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=FFFFFF"]#FFFFFF[/URL] ]CNT[/COLOR][COLOR=[URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=FFFFFF"]#FFFFFF[/URL] ]Location[/COLOR][COLOR=[URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=FFFFFF"]#FFFFFF[/URL] ]Shop Name[/COLOR][COLOR=[URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=FFFFFF"]#FFFFFF[/URL] ]Employee[/COLOR]
1​
France,GermanyAldiSally,Harry,Peter
2​
FranceCarrefourFrancis,Petra
3​
USAWalmart
4​
UKTesco,Morrison'sJerry
Option2
[COLOR=[URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=FFFFFF"]#FFFFFF[/URL] ]CNT[/COLOR][COLOR=[URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=FFFFFF"]#FFFFFF[/URL] ]Location[/COLOR][COLOR=[URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=FFFFFF"]#FFFFFF[/URL] ]Shop Name[/COLOR][COLOR=[URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=FFFFFF"]#FFFFFF[/URL] ]Employee[/COLOR]
1​
FranceAldiSally
1​
FranceAldiHarry
1​
FranceAldiPeter
1​
GermanyAldiSally
1​
GermanyAldiHarry
1​
GermanyAldiPeter
2​
FranceCarrefourFrancis
2​
FranceCarrefourPetra
3​
USAWalmart
4​
UKTescoJerry
4​
UKMorrison'sJerry

<tbody>
</tbody>

My second table is what I'm trying to get to. The first instance of France has no shop and no employees - that is why that row is blank. Perhaps my example data is bad but I can't just put in the real data.

There are instances where the Shop Name and/or Employee field is blank i.e. only the location is specified. If that doesn't make sense as to why it would be like that then forget the actual example and concentrate more on which fields are filled out in the original and the desired table. The desired table is supposed to look like a pivot table. Let me redraw

****** id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">
LocationShop NameEmployee
France1BLANKBLANK
GermanyAldiSally
GermanyAldiHarry
GermanyAldiPeter
France2CarrefourFrancis
France2CarrefourPetra
USAWalmartBLANK
UKTescoBLANK
UKMorrison'sJerry

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
as mentioned earlier your source data is ambiguous so hard to create something what doesn't exist.
there is no ID for France = blank so France taking all elements from Shop Name and Employee

btw. I don't care about your real data but I'd like to see real structure and type of data in table form (not in description - in case from above I assumed all is text or blank = null) then we can talk again :)

edit:
don't quote whole post ! I know what I said and post. Just enough: @sandy666 if you answer to me

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@sandy666
I appreciate what you're saying but the way I have presented the data is how it is output by the system. Why it exports like that I don't know nor can I control.

Let me try another, more realistic example. Here, I have kept the exact structure of the first 25 lines of data but renamed/relabeled appropriately.Maybe I can make the question a bit easier. Instead of trying to turn this into pivot table friendly data, can I just get a formula for a count on how many legal entities are associated with each portfolio?

System output:

Portfolio
Portfolio A
Portfolio B
Legal Entity
Legal Entity 1
Class ID
Class I
Class II
Class III
Portfolio
Portfolio C
Legal Entity
Legal Entity 2
Class ID
Class II
Class I
Portfolio
Portfolio D
Legal Entity
Legal Entity 3
Portfolio
Portfolio E
Portfolio F
Legal Entity
Legal Entity 4

<tbody>
</tbody>

Which really means this:

PortfolioLegal EntityClass ID
Portfolio A
Portfolio BLegal Entity 1Class I
Portfolio BLegal Entity 1Class II
Portfolio BLegal Entity 1Class III
Portfolio CLegal Entity 2Class I
Portfolio CLegal Entity 2Class II
Portfolio DLegal Entity 3
Portfolio E
Portfolio FLegal Entity 4

<tbody>
</tbody>

i.e. Portfolio A does not have any classes or entities associated with it, nor does Portfolio E. Portfolio D has no classes.

None of the portfolios "fold up" into the one above. Each is a separate line item. Just because the system exports Portfolio A and B under the same Portfolio heading does not mean they're related. I don't know why it exports like that.

Also, I don't understand how to paste in a table here so apologies for that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back