How can I format an Excel TimeDate from a double to mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.000
Thank you!

Please call this sub to demonstrate my question:
VBA Code:
Public Sub TimeWithMS()
Dim Timestamp As Variant
Timestamp = Evaluate("Now()")
Debug.Print Tab(0); "Timestamp:"; Tab(15); Timestamp
Debug.Print Tab(0); "How do you format the Timestamp as: mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.000? (milliseconds required)"
End Sub

*Correction*
Using only VBA code (not passing the value to a worksheet) how do I format 44141.4987965278 to 11/06/2020 11:58:16.020

Hmm.... Your original question was about formatting current date and time based on Evaluate("Now()"). That would be:

Rich (BB code):
Public Sub TimeWithMS()
Dim Timestamp As Double
Timestamp = Date + CDbl(Timer) / 86400
Debug.Print Tab(0); "Timestamp:", Timestamp, CDate(Timestamp), WorksheetFunction.Text(Timestamp, "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.000")
End Sub

But your "correction" posting seems to make a point of formatting the exact date and time of a previous date (since you posted on 11/11/2020).

Obviously, that would require that you capture Date and Timer at the moment on that date.

Alternatively, you could combine a previous date -- e.g. DateSerial(2020,11,6) -- with the current(!) value of Timer, if that is your intent(!). To what end?

Notes:

1. Changing Timestamp to type Double is optional. Generally, I prefer specific types instead of Variant, which allows VBA to choose the type. In this example, VBA would choose type Date, which (a) is not obvious from the expression (should be explained in the "+ operator" help page, but I don't see anything about Date+Double [sigh]), and (b) is not desirable, IMHO. I am always suspicious of type Date because VBA does inconsistent things with it, IMHO.

2. In the expression above, you could write simply Timer/86400. Using CDbl(Timer) was an abundance of caution, because VBA handles mixed mode expressions with type Single (Timer) in different ways, depending on the operator. (See the "\ operator" help page.) But in this case, VBA would do what we intend (type Double division) only because the magnitude of 86400 is larger than type Integer.

3. WorksheetFunction "objects" (functions) execute entirely in the VBA thread. It does not involve the Excel thread (worksheet) per se. You can think of it as an internal VBA function. (But it is not implemented in VBA, of course.)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back