Convert formula to text

coden23

Hi, I have the following formula which i want to return as text for me to find it.

Sheet 1
No. Name
1 Gani Abecia
2 Nestor Santos

Sheet 2

No. Name
1 INDEX(Data!$C$9:$C$78,MATCH(B4,Data!$B$9:$B$78,0),1)

the formula will return it is gani abecia
the problem is when searching for name by pressing conrol f i can't search or find gani abecia since it is a formula. how do i do this?

thanks

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
well that would be easy... but its part of a formula wherein everything is automatic. its a timekeeping sheet i'm developing for a friend where he can download a biometric scanner report and everything will just be filled up with a formula. the control f is for his use to search the sheet if any queries came up

Upvote 0
Do you have to use find/replace? Vlookup or match will find formula results but only via the sheet unless you use VBA. Sorting or filtering will help too.

Upvote 0
yes sir. since i'm not the user here.. just developing this for a friend. the sheet two will generate a pivot table in sheet 3. if there's a discrepancy in the table, the user will go back to sheet 2 and find the name of the person who has descrepancy in the pivot.

Upvote 0
Then you'll need a VBA input box that pops up for the user to type text. Excel's find function searches cell contents only, not what's displayed.

Upvote 0
Then you'll need a VBA input box that pops up for the user to type text. Excel's find function searches cell contents only, not what's displayed.

That is incorrect.

Press Ctrl f then Alt t and change the "Look In" dropdown from Formulas to Values.

Upvote 0
that helps... but there's no formula for it? i was thinking =text(INDEX(Data!$C$9:$C$79,MATCH(B4,Data!$B$9:$B$79,0),1)) but this wouldn't work

Upvote 0
Your original formula is fine, you said it returns the correct result and any other formula that refers to it will see the result, not the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back