convert to number context menu

scamsel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This thing has been driving me nuts. When i have a bunch of fields that i want to convert to numbers, the context menu disappears once i scroll far enough down my list that the initial row is off the page. Once i select everything in that column that i wish to convert, i have to go ALLLL the way back up to the beginning of my selection to be able to select that convert to number from the context box. is there a place in the menus or ribbon that i can go that gives me the same convert to number result?

Using this context menu is the only way i've found that converts everything properly. formatting of the field to number doesn't work the same way as 'converting' to number. I hope i've explained this clearly, any help is so greatly appreciated.

1601508964300.png

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I am not aware of a menu item for Convert Text to Number (sorry), but I may have a solution for you. If you add 0 to each of the cells values, the result will be a number - so, for example, if you wrote in C5:
=A5+0
the result would be the number 432.

If you have a large number of cells to convert, a quicker way would be to use Paste Special to add 0 to each of the cells:
1601529530814.png

As with this example, you can see that the numbers in column M are stored as text. If you put 0 into another cell (ie., O1 in the picture above), then copy that cell. You then need to select the range of cells that you wish to convert.

Then click on Paste Special (as below, left) and then select the "Add" option:
1601529739257.png
1601529754639.png

Click on OK and the selected range will be converted to numbers.

Upvote 0
Once you have selected the cells to convert hit Ctrl & backspace, it will take you to the top of the selected cells & you can then use the context menu.
Alternatively you can use text to columns.

Upvote 0
wow, excellent, both these answers work great. thank you much.

i recall using that similar paste special at one point in time, but instead i was multiplying the cells by 1, does the same trick.

the ctrl&backspace shortcut is quite a useful trick, thanks for that.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back