Converting dates to numbers

hogesta

Hi everyone,

First time poster here, appreciate any and all help.

I have an excel document that continues to convert dates to numbers, and I have no idea why. For example, 2/2/14 changes automatically to 41672 and 4/4/14 changes automatically to 41733 (left adjusted in the cell).

The cells are all formatted as dates (in the format of mm/dd/yy), and there are no formulas associated with these cells. I've tried copying and pasting these cells into a new document, and all dates work as they should. Unfortunately, simply creating a new document is not an option at this time.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Thanks in advance from a frustrated user!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
The cells look they are formatted as "general" or "Text", hence the numbers !
If you right click on one of the cells and select Format cells, what is highlighted in the dialog box that appears.
Also are there any macros being enabled for that particular sheet ?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, Michael.

They are not formatted as General or Text. They are formatted as Date, I've checked this a number of times and also tried going in and modifying it/changing back to date (I even tried making it custom a few times). Still no dice. I also have no macros enabled on my sheet. Weird, right?

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Hello hogesta, welcome to MrExcel

This will happen if you have the "show formulas" option enabled (I know you don't have formulas for the dates, but it's a "side effect" of that option)

You can toggle on/off with shortcut combination CTRL+`

or go to File > Options > Advanced > under "Display options for this worksheet" untick "show formulas in cells instead of their calculated results"

Upvote 0
Hey Barry
I didn't know that....a great little learner...I'm not going to press "like"....but I like that..well done..(y)

Upvote 0
Hi folks-

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Houdini, I wasn't able to follow the directions you provided (I'm on a Mac, which could be why), but it did prompt me to a few other areas that helped me solve the problem. Thought I'd outline them below in case anyone else stumbles across this looking for answers. Again, I'm working off of a Mac with the most recent version of Excel.

-Highlight the affected cells
-Go to the "formulas" tab
-Click on the "show" icon (it is a drop down icon with a magnifying glass)
-Make sure "show formulas" is unchecked

Thanks again, everyone!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back